Update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G To Official CM9 Nightly Android 4.0.4 ICS custom ROM
Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G can now be updated with CyanogenMod 9 Nightly ROM and all the instructions that you need are listed in this article. Continue to read the rest of this post only if you’re owning a I9100G model number of Galaxy S2. Below you can find guides on how to properly prepare your phone and your computer in order to successfully apply the CM9 Nightly update firmware.
Cm9 Nightly ROM has been created by codeworkx who is part of Team Hacksung. Also, he is an XDA Elite Recognized Developer and the new official release of cyanogenmod 9 created by him is pretty stable. However, there are some bugs which makes the FM-Radio, Wi-Fi Direct and TV-Out functions to stop working and you cannot use them, but the developer are currently working on repairing this problems.
Before we can start to update your I9100G with Official CM9 Nightly ROM firmware you will have to read the instructions listed under the preparation guide below. Make sure to read all the guidelines and if you hit any roadblocks or you have trouble updating the phone then you should leave a comment and we will help you. Here’s what you need to know:
- Cm9 Nightly for Galaxy S2 I9100G can be installed only if the phone is running the official ICS XXLPQ firwmare. Do not try to install it on any other device. Without your device being on an official stock ICS firmware, CM9 Nightly cannot be flashed. So, if you’re on an ICS bootloader then you’re free to continue the tutorial guide.
- The Galaxy S2 I9100G should be rooted and CWM Recovery image installed on it.
- Phones that are already running a CM9 ROM don’t need to wipe data, but if you’re currently using a different custom ROM then you will have to wipe the data and factory reset action is needed. This means that you have to backup your important files by moving them on your phone’s internal/ external sd card, as these parts won’t be changed while flashing the new firmware.
- If you wish to backup your installed applications then you should use the following Android app: AppBak application.
- Calls logs info and SMS text messages can be backed up using these apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore.
- your Phone Contacts can easily be synced with your Gmail account. Here’s a guide to help you with that.
- After a new ROM is installed, the APN Settings might be changed and this means that you will have to back them up before flashing CM9 Nightly. Here’s an application that will backup the internet settings.
- USB Debugging should be enabled. Also, make sure to charge the phone’s battery and in this way you will prevent it from powering off while changing its ROM.
- CWM Recovery, ROM Manager and CWM app are all equipped with a feature that permits you to create a full ROM backup. It is recommended for you to create a complete and full backup of your currently installed ROM firmware, so that in case something goes wrong then you will be able to restore a working build.
Now that you know all this info, you are free to move to the tutorial guide and learn how to update your SGS2 I9100G to a new CM9 Nightly ROM build. We won’t be held responsible in case you brick your phone or your data gets corrupted. Make sure to use the comments section to ask for help. Also, read the entire post and only after you’re sure that all requirements have been met, begin the update process.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S I9100G with CM9 Nightly Ice Cream Sandwich ROM:
- Download CM9 Nightly ROM zip file from here.
- Download the Google Apps zip file from here. This one has to be installed after the ROM and it will add the Gtalk, Play Store, Calendar and all other Google based applications that your phone needs in order to improve your Android experience.
- Now, connect your phone to your PC and move both, the ROM and Gapps, zip file on its internal or external sdcard. After the transfer is complete you need to disconnect the I9100G phone from your PC.
- Power OFF the phone.
- Boot into Clockworkmod Recovery.
- When in CWM Recovery you need to first select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm that you wish to wipe all data. Please note that this action won’t change the contents of your internal and / or external sd card.
- Next, select ‘wipe cache partition’. Complete this step and then move to the next one.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and on the next menu you need to select ‘choose zip from sd card’ or ‘choose zip from external sdcard’. It depends on the location where you’ve place the zip files.
- Navigate to the location of CM9 Nightly ROM zip and select it. Confirm that you want to install it.
- Wait for the ROM to be fully installed and after that you should flash the Gapps zip in the same way; select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Confirm that you want to install Gapps and that will do it.
- When both CM9 ROM and Gapps packages have been successfully installed, you will need to go back to the main recovery screen and select ‘reboot system now’.
- The Galaxy S2 I9100G will now perform its first boot with the new CM9 Nightly ROM firmware. Please note that the first boot process will take at least 5 minutes to load all its applications, services and functions. Wait until you see the phone account setup screen.
- Enter your Google account details and after you complete this step, your phone is ready and you are free to customize its launcher, themes and all other features and functions.
That’s it, now your I9100G phone runs on the latest CM9 Nightly ROM. Please note that in case the first boot takes way too long to load, or in case the device gets into a boot loop, then it means that the SGS2 I9100G wasn’t successfully updated which means that you are now forced to repeat the entire tutorial guide. The second time make sure that you apply all the steps listed above.
Use the comments section if you require any help in completing the installation of CM9 Nightly Android 4.0.4 ICS on your I9100G smartphone.