Samsung released an official Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware for the European /Nordic region countries and now you can use the guide I’ve listed here to learn how to update all the Galaxy S2 I9100G devices that are used in different regions around the globe. Read the entire post and you’ll learn how to manually update your smartphone to the latest Ice Cream Sandwich firmware with the version number XXLPY.
Please note that this isn’t an Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update, but an Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 one, as Samsung didn’t announce any news whether Jelly Bean update will or won’t be released this year for the I9100G smartphones. If you want to install this update correctly you will first have to read the preparation guide and only after that you will manage to install all the files.
This new Android 4.0.4 XXLPY firmware for Galaxy S2 I9100G will repair several bugs and improve multiple features to improve the overall performance of your device. Note that by installing this official XXLPY firwmare you will revoke root access for your device in case this is currently rooted. Now that you know all this you should move to the tutorial guide below and learn what steps to take in order to correctly update to this new Android official firmware release. Here’s what you need to know:
- Use this manual XXLPY firmware update method only on Galaxy S2 I9100G smartphones and do not attempt to install it on the I9100 models. If you don’t know which model number is your phone, you should open the Settings menu and then check the info under the ‘About phone’ section as there you will find the model number of your Galaxy S2.
- Your computer should have the Samsung USB drivers installed as otherwise you won’t be able to flash this official update. Download these from the following links: Download Samsung drivers from here or here. After the download is complete you should install them and after that return to this tutorial.
- Applying this update will mean that all installed apps and some files from your phone’s system partition will be deleted. That’s why you should backup all important files. Move such files on your PC.
- Users with rooted I9100G devices can use the following apps to save Applications list, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Internet Settings: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync your Phone Contacts with your Gmail account so that you won’t lose any of your stored phone numbers.
- Enable USB debugging option from the phone’s Settings menu. Without this enabled you won’t be able to update your phone.
- Remember to charge your phone’s battery so that it won’t power down while you’re flashing the new firmware files.
- Apply this update only if you’re an advanced Android user and note that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and you brick the device.
- Remember to use the comments field to post any extra questions. Also, use it for extra instructions and tell us if you hit any roadblocks while attempting to flash this new XXLPY firmware.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, I think that you’re ready to move to the tutorial guide. Don’t skip any steps that I have listed as that will result in a failed attempt of updating your phone.
Update Galaxy S2 I9100G to XXLPY Android 4.0.4 ICS Firmware
- Download the XXLPY firmware ROM from HERE or HERE.
- Extract the contents of the zip and you’ll get a ‘.tar’ or ‘.tar.md5′ file and another ‘dll’ one. Place them in a single folder on your computer’s desktop.
- Next, download the Odin 1.85 from HERE. Extract its contents in a folder that is saved on your desktop screen.
- Power OFF your smartphone and make sure that it isn’t connected to your computer.
- Boot into Download Mode by pressing and holding ‘volume down’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ simultaneously. When the screen powers on you will see a warning alert and you have to press Volume Up to load Download Mode for I9100G.
- Launch ODIN executable and wait for the program’s main window to load.
- Now you need to click the ‘PDA’ tab and browse your PC for the ‘.tar’ I9100G XXLPY file. Load it.
- Do not change any other settings in ODIN and now you should connect your I9100G Galaxy S2 to your computer via USB cable. Odin should say ‘added!’ and you can move to the next step. If it doesn’t display that confirmation you should reinstall the USB drivers for your phone. You’ll find these in the preparation guide above.
- Begin the installation of the new XXLPY firmware for your Galaxy S2 I9100G by pressing the START button. When the installation is complete, your device will restart and you should unplug the phone from the PC.
ODIN should say ‘PASS’ and that means that the installation was successful. NOTE: In case ODIN freezes or it displays a FAIL alert, then it means that the update wasn’t completed and you should unplug the phone from PC and close ODIN. Remove the device’s battery, re-insert it and then power into Download Mode again and repeat the tutorial starting with step 5.
Eventually you should manage to update your phone’s firmware files.
NOTE2: In case ODIN says ‘PASS’ and the I9100G SGS2 restarts, but it cannot get past the boot logo, then you will be forced to apply the steps below and force your phone to boot into normal mode. The steps below will tell you to wipe data like apps, contacts, messages etc. Here’s what you need to do:
- Boot into custom recovery mode. It can be done by pressing ‘home’ + ‘volume up’ + ‘power’ buttons. Release these buttons only when the screen powers ON and then your I9100G should load the recovery mode.
- When you’re in recovery mode you should use the volume keys to navigate through the options and use power button to select the ones you wish to run.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and then confirm by pressing Power.
- After the wipe data process is complete you should return to the main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Your phone should now restart correctly and you can take control over its functions once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take and now your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G should be running the latest official Android 4.0.4 ICS XXLPY Firmware. In case you cannot install it, then you should tell us in comments where you got stuck and we will give extra instructions.