The Galaxy S2 model number I9100G has just received a new custom ROM called RootBOX which is a vanilla ROM and it is based on the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. Use the guides listed in this post and you will learn how to correctly install this new Jelly Bean custom ROM for your smartphone.
This RootBOX release ROM is only supported on the I9100G and in case you own a I9100 device then you should follow this link here. This ROM packs both CM10 and AOKP functions that will bring a smooth Jelly Bean UI for your device. At the moment, this custom ROM is in its beta phase and not all features are working. The functions that aren’t supported for I9100G are the Google Ears, Rom Control as NavBar isn’t working, long press to search feature, no USB Mass Storage, you can’t swap between internal and external storage. If you find some other problems, please tell us in comments.
I recommend you to install this custom ROM only if you’re an advanced user and do not use it as a daily OS. Use Android apps capable of creating full backups of the existing ROM and only after that you should try to install it. Also, before you move to the tutorial, you should read the preparation guide below and learn what steps you need to take so that you’ll manage to flash this Vanilla RootBOX custom ROM on your SGS2 I9100G smartphone at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- install this ROM only on the Samsung Galaxy S2 with the model number I9100G. Do not install it on the I9100 variant as it won’t work. To check the model number of your phone, you will need to open Settings, then scroll down to the ‘About phone’ menu and there you will find the I9100G version.
- your phone should be rooted and the CWM Recovery or TWRP Recoveyr image as to be installed on your device, as otherwise you won’t be able to flash this new ROM.
- Use the ROM Manager, CWM/ TWRP Recovery to create a full backup of he existing ROM and in case you don’t like the new ROM then you will be able to restore to the one you’re currently using on your device.
- Backup applications, Call Logs, SMS and the APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync your phone contacts with the Gmail account you’ve assigned for your I9100G smartphone.
- Enable USB Debugging option on your smartphone before you start the update.
- It is mandatory that your device is on an ICS bootloader as in case it is on another one then you won’t be able to boot the ROM. So, your I9100G should be running right now an Ice Cream Sandwich ROM official / unofficial release.
- Also, remember to charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t power off while you’re applying the new custom ROM files.
- You are the only one responsible in case something goes wrong and you end up bricking the phone, as we cannot be held responsible since you’re installing custom ROMs and you’re doing this at your own risk.
Read the entire post and make sure that only after you understood all the steps that you need to take, you will move to the tutorial. In case cannot complete the tutorial, then you should use the comments section and ask for help.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G to Vanilla RootBOX custom ROM
- Download the Vanilla RootBOX custom ROM from HERE. Don’t extract the files contained within the zip file.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC and copy the ROM zip file on the internal sdcard. Place the file right on your device’s internal sdcard root.
- When the file is successfully copied on your smartphone you will need to disconnect it from PC and power it OFF.
- Boot into CWM Recovery mode by pressing and holding ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons until the screen powers on.
- First thing that you need to do in CWM Recovery is to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm this process. When this is complete you should move to the next step.
- Now select ‘mounts and storage’ and then select ‘format/ system’ to wipe the system partition. Return to the main recovery screen when this process is finished. Note that these actions won’t delete the contents stored on your phone’s internal and external sdcard.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next screen select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ or ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’ as it depends on the location where you’ve placed the ROM. So, find the RootBOX beta ROM zip and confirm that you wish to install it.
- When the installation of this new ROM is finished you should return to the main ClockworkMod recovery menu and restart the device.
- Now your phone will start the first boot into Vanilla RootBOX ROM and you have to wait at least 5 minutes for all files to load. When that happens you should enter the Google account details and start testing this new custom ROM.
NOTE: If the first boot into this new Jelly Bean 4.1 custom ROM takes too long to complete, you will need to remove the phone’s battery, re-insert it and then repeat the tutorial starting with step 4, as the installation wasn’t finished and you should give it a second try. Make sure that your device is on an ICS bootloader / ROM before installing this new ROM. Also, you will install RootBOX Vanilla custom ROM only on Galaxy S2 I9100G devices that are rooted.
If you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for help in our comments section and we will try to give you the best advice. Also, use the same comments field to post your opinions about this new custom ROM based on Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and how it performs on your device.
For more guides and tutorials on how to update/ root and improve the overall performance of your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G use this link here which will take you to our web site’s dedicated I9100G page.