CyanogenMod 10.1 M3 build based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean can now be flashed on the Galaxy S2 I9100G smartphone. Read the entire post and you will manage to complete the tutorial with success without losing any important data in the process.
The M3 snapshot is the latest ‘more stable’ release in the CM 10.1 ROM series. It bundles all the Nighlties features added since the M2 release. It still uses the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS and in order to successfully install it on your device, then you should read the guidelines below:
- Use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G. Don’t try to use this guide with the I9100 model, as it won’t work.
- Your device has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP. The update won’t work in case you don’t meet these requirements.
- Create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM using the custom Recovery mode. This will set a restore point for your device and it can be used in case something goes wrong in the process. Don’t skip this step; it is listed in the tutorial.
- During the update you will be asked to ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ the device, which will delete the /system partition. All the installed apps, SMS and some other similar data will be removed in the process. NOTE: If you already run a previous build of CM 10.1, then you can skip the ‘factory reset’ step.
- Use the following tools and backup SMS, Cal Logs and other similar data: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync your Gmail account with your Contacts so that you won’t lose any important phone numbers.
- Enable USB debugging option for your device.
- Your phone’s battery should have enough power left before starting the updating process.
- We can’t be held responsible in case something goes wrong and you lose data or you cannot boot your device with the new OS. This is a guide for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t skip any steps that I’ve listed below.
- Ask for more help in our comments field.
Now that you know all of the above, you can continue to the tutorial and start updating your device.
How to update Galaxy S2 I9100G to CM 10.1 M3 Jelly Bean 4.2.2:
- Download the CM 10.1 M3 build from HERE. Save it on your PC without extracting its contents.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from HERE. Don’t unzip the file and save it on your PC.
- Connect your device to your PC and then move both of these files to your smartphone’s internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from PC when the files are moved successfully.
- Power off your Galaxy S2 I9100G.
- Boot the device into Custom Recovery Mode. You can use either CWM or TWRP, it doesn’t matter which, the instructions are similar. We’ve used CWM Recovery.
- When the main menu of CWM Recovery loads you should select ‘backup and restore’. Create a NADROID backup of your current ROM and then get to the next step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm. NOTE: if your phone is already running on a previous version of CM 10.1, then you can skip this step and flash the new CM 10.1 M3 build over it.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the custom CM 10.1 M3 ROM and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the ROM is installed you should select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ again. Find the Gapps zip and install it. Confirm.
- When both files have been successfully installed, you should return to the main Recovery menu. Select ‘reboot system now’ and confirm this process.
- Wait for the device to boot into normal mode and then start testing this new ROM.
These were all the steps that you had to go over and install the new CM 10.1 M3 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM for your Galaxy S2 I9100G. If you have any other questions, then you should ask for more help in our comments field and we will try to offer you the best solutions.
If you don’t like this new ROM, then you can use step 6 and restore the NANDROID backup of your previous ROM.