The Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket users can receive the ICS flavor as an OS update has just been made available for their smartphones. Don’t get to enthusiastic though as we are not talking about an official firmware released by Samsung. Anyway, during the present step by step guide we will be checking in how to update your SkyRocket i727 by installing the Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 based AOKP Custom ROM firmware, so for further information and for the proper tutorial read the next lines. The process will not be hard to complete, just give it a try.
I know that the Galaxy 2 SkyRocket i727 is a powerful smartphone with high end specs and features, but we all know that when it comes to performances it’s never enough. Therefore, if you want to spice things up and take full advantage of your Android powered phone, you should flash a custom ROM into its system. In fact, this is the most complex operation you can apply on a smartphone, so if you really want to test its capabilities you must complete the same.
The AOKP (short form of Android Open KANG Project) custom ROM was tested and first flashed on a Galaxy S2 SkyRocket by those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for this tutorial. For properly understanding what you need to do in order to safely apply the update, I recommend you to read all the lines from here and also to complete the pre requisites and the other things indicated. In this way you can be sure that nothing bad is happening and everything is working as it should. If different we won’t be able to help you in any way.
The features included in such a firmware are numerous. The capabilities of your handset will be improved and the system unlocked. You can gain speed, the battery life will be upgraded, the appearance improved, a theme manager will be installed, the RAM will be optimized and the OS will be opened for changes and for optimization and customization operations.
Is important to know that the AOKP firmware is a custom ROM and not an official software released by Samsung as by applying this tutorial the warranty will get void. If you will have to restore the warranty (if you want to reclaim something through the carrier) you will have to downgrade to the stock ROM, or apply the official update (if one will be available). Anyway, try not to mess things up, so always follow a how to guide like this one; don’t try to flash the firmware by yourselves as you can brick your devices.
Another important aspect is referring to a precaution task. A full wipe of the system will be required for applying the AOKP update. That’s why you should make a backup. You can save and then restore almost anything stored on your phone by using proper and suitable apps. All the apps needed are available for free through Google Play, just search for them. If you don’t know what to download, check our backup guides and you will find more info there. Then, you can return here and go further with this step by step guide.
Also, the pre requisites must be mentioned. It’s important to take care of them as in this way you can avoid bad things for happening. Furthermore, by ensuring the tasks from the list below your handset will be in safe hands and the basic process will not raise any kinds of issues.
- Apply the update only if you have a Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket model number i727.
- Make sure you have access to a Windows running computer.
- On the computer and on the smartphone temporarily deactivate the Firewall and antivirus programs.
- On your S2 go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the last option (USB debugging).
- If the device has least than 60% power left, charge it first.
The above info is all you need to know in order to be prepared for the proper guide. So, let’s get to work.
How to Update Galaxy S2 SkyRocket i727 to ICS 4.0 with AOKP Custom ROM
- Download the next files: the AOKP ROM file (download link here), the Google Apps (from here) and the DarkSide Super Wipe file (download link here).
- Save them to the computer.
- Connect your handset to the PC via USB cable.
- Copy the up downloaded files from the PC to your smartphone.
- Disconnect it.
- Then reboot and enter in recovery mode.
- The recovery mode can be easily reached by holding the Volume Up button and Volume Down button while powering on.
- Select to perform a full wipe: “Wipe data factory reset” and “Wipe cache partition”.
- Then you need to flash the ROM. For this select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card” and pick the ICS 4.0.4 AOKP based Custom ROM firmware Zip package, Google Apps Package and then the Dark Side Super Wipe file, in this order.
- Then, just wait and don’t press anything until you will be back on the recovery menu.
- From there select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
That was all. Test the ROM, see if the Google Apps were installed and see if there are bugs in the system. Share your impressions with us and do tell how you find the AOKP Custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S 2 SkyRocket i727. Also, if there were problems during the update procedure, share the same with us and we will do all that we can in order to resolve the issues.