Update Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean using CM 10.1 RC1 custom ROM
The CyanogenMod 10.1.0 Release Candidate 1 build is now available for the SkyRocket model of the Samsung Galaxy S2. Read this post and you will learn how to successfully flash the new CM ROM on your smartphone without bricking your device. Ntoe that this guide is required for devices that are rooted and running a custom Recovery image.
This is a custom ROM that is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and it packs all the stock features along with all the other CyanogenMod-based functions and services. In order to successfully flash it on your Galaxy S2 SkyRocket you should first read the preparation guide below:
- Use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket variant. Don’t try to flash the CM 10.1.0 RC1 file on different devices.
- the SkyRocket device you’re about to update should be unlocked, rooted and should have a CWM Recovery image installed on it.
- before installing the new ROM, it is recommended for you to use the custom Recovery mode and create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM. This will set a restore point for your device that can be used in case the new OS doesn’t install correctly.
- the tutorial asks you to factory reset the device, which means that the /system partition will be wiped in the process. The internal / external sdcard contents will be left unchanged.
- backup your SMS, Call logs and APN Internet settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.Root access is required for some of these apps.
- sync your Contacts data with your Gmail account.
- enable USB debugging option from your phone’s Developer Options.
- make sure that your phone has enough battery power left before powering down.
- this is a guide for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t attempt to use it in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- don’t skip any steps that I have listed in the tutorial below, as that will result in a failed attempt of updating your smartphone.
- in case you cannot complete the install, then you can ask for extra help in comments.
These were all the steps that you had to go over before starting the updating process.
NOTE: if your SkyRocket device is already sporting a previous build of CM 10.1 Nightlies or M Snapshot, then you might be able to flash the new Release Candidate one without applying the ‘factory reset’ action. However, in case the phone doesn’t boot with the new ROM, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial and factory reset the device. You’ll find all the info in the tutorial below.
How to install CM 10.1.0 RC1 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 for the Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket:
- Download the CM 10.1.0 RC1 from HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t unzip.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2-based ROMs from HERE. Don’t extract the contents.
- Connect your SkyRocket phone to your PC and then move both files download in steps 1 and 2 onto its internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from computer when the files are copied successfully.
- Power off your smartphone now.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode. We’ve used the ClockworkMod Recovery for this guide but, you can use the TWRP Recovery if that’s the one installed on your device.
- From the main menu of custom Recovery mode select ‘backup and restore’ option. Create a NANDROID backup of your current OS if you didn’t made one until now. When the backup is complete you should return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this process. NOTE: if your phone is already running a previous build of CM 10.1 then you can skip this step. But, in case the device doesn’t boot into normal mode after installing the new OS, then you will have to reboot into recovery and apply this step 7 action and then re-install the CM 10.1 RC1 ROM; it will force the device to boot in normal mode.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’. Then, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the CM 10.1.0 RC1 ROM and install it.
- When the new ROM is installed you should select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option once again. Install the Gapps file.
- After both files have been successfully installed, you should return to the main recovery menu. Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for your device to boot into normal mode and then enter your Google credentials and start customizing the home screens and all the other parts of CyanogenMod 10.1.0 RC1 operating system.
- Test all its functions and then tell us in comments which are the best ones.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully flash the CM 10.1 Release Candidate 1 build on your Galaxy S2 SkyRocket phone.
In case the ROM doesn’t install at your first attempt, then you can try to repeat all action once again and make sure that step 7, the factory reset action, is applied successfully.
In case you don’t like the new OS, then you can easily use the CWM Recovery and restore the NANDROID backup of your previous ROM. If you have any other questions, post them in our comments section. Make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we will be able to give you the best solution for whatever problem you’ve encountered while installing the ROM.