F1 GalaxyNexus custom ROM has been created completely from the ICS source code and now you can flash it on your Galaxy S2 and, it has been mostly created for users that wish to taste the Galaxy Nexus experience on other phones. Read this entire article and you will learn how to install F1 GalaxyNexus on your SGS2 smartphone.
The creators of this custom ROM have managed to compile it from pure AOSP ICS and it brings numerous tweaks and improvements for your Samsung GS2 smartphone. Here’s a list with all important features of F1 GalaxyNexus custom ROM for Galaxy S2:
- it is completely deodexed
- APKs are zipaligned
- Rooted, BusyBox installed and it doesn’t include any 3rd party applications.
- No Bloatware
- Android ICS 4.0.4 – IMM76I
- Supports multiple languages
- Stock ICS Look and Feel
- It mainly changes your Galaxy S2 interface into a Galaxy Nexus one.
- Extended power menu
- Official Nexus 4.0.4 ICS boot animation
- T9 Dialer and support for landscape dialer
- Notification toggles
- 180 degree rotation support has been added and it comes enabled by default.
- SGS2 Settings added to the launcher
- SD-card read ahead tweak and EXT4 File System enhancements were added
- multiple other custom optimizations and tweaks have been added with F1 GalaxyNexus ROM.
Now that you know what this new custom ROM packs, you are free to move to the preparation guide and learn how to configure your Galaxy S2 device so that you’ll manage to install the Android 4.0.4 ICS F1 GalaxyNexus custom ROM firmware at your first attempt.
Remember that this tutorial is destined to be used on rooted Galaxy S2 devices with CWM Recovery installed. Also, because it requires for you to wipe all data then you will have to backup all data in your phone before installing the new custom ROM. Make sure to read the entire pre-requisites guide and you’ll learn how to backup applications, SMS and all other important data. Here’s what you need to know and what to do in order to correctly configure your device for the firmware update process:
- F1 GalaxyNexus custom ROM can be installed on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9000 model numbers that are rooted with CWM Recovery software installed on them. Do not attempt to install it if you don’t meet these three basic requirements.
- because you’ll need to wipe all data before applying the firmware update, you will firstly need to backup all your important videos, audio, photos, ebooks, bookmarks, pdf and text documents and any other file you consider to be important. These can be transferred on your device’s internal / external sd card, as these will be the only parts of your phone left unchanged.
- The applications that are currently installed on your SGS2 can easily be backed up using this Android app: AppBak application.
- SMS text messages and Call Logs info can be saved using these programs: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore.
- Phone Contact numbers should be synced with your Gmail account. Here’s a guide for beginners.
- APN Settings should also be backed up. These values will allow you to restore data internet connection after the update is complete, as sometimes the APN Settings are changed every time you apply a new custom ROM firmware.
- Enable USB Debugging.
- It is recommended for you to create a full backup of your phone. This can be done using CWM Recovery, CWM Manager, ROM Manager or ROM Toolbox lite by downloading and installing them from Google’s Play Store.
Now that you know all that then you are free to move to the tutorial guide and learn how to properly install the F1 GalaxyNexus custom ROM on your SGS2. Please note that you are installing it at your own risk and this means that you won’t be able to held neither us nor the developers responsible for any problems your Galaxy S2 might experience after the update. Make sure to use the comments field and ask for help.
Update Samsung Galaxy S2 to F1 GalaxyNexus Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROM:
- Download the F1 GalaxyNexus ROM zip file. Save it on your computer without extracting its contents.
- Next, download the latest Gapps package. This zip file needs to be flashed after you install the custom ROM. Do not extract its contents.
- Now, move both, ROM zip and Gapps package, files on your phone’s internal sdcard. After the copying is complete you should disconnect the phone from your PC. Also, power OFF the SGS2.
- Boot into Clockworkmod Recovery. Do it by pressing ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons at the same time.
- When in CWM Recovery main menu you should select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm. Note: if your device is already on an F1 GalaxyNexus ROM, then the data wiping isn’t required.
- Now that ‘data wipe’ process is complete you should select ‘install zip from sdcard’.
- Next, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ or ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’. It depends on the location where you’ve placed the F1 GalaxyNexus ROM zip file.
- Find the ROM zip and confirm that you wish to install it on your device.
- After the F1 GalaxyNexus custom ROM installation has been installed you will need to repeat step 7. Now, select the ‘gapps’ zip to install. Confirm this action. This will install Google Play Store, Gmail, Gtalk and all other important Google based apps, that you require in order to correctly control your device.
- Go back to the main recovery screen and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Now, your phone will perform its first boot with the F1 GalaxyNexus custom ROM. Please note that this might take over ten minutes to complete. That’s it, now you’re free to configure your Google account and give your Samsung Galaxy S2 a test run with the new firmware.
Please note that in case the first boot process takes over 15 minutes then you didn’t install the ROM correctly, which is why you need to read the entire tutorial guide again and to make sure that you apply step 5 and wipe all data. Also, remember to re-read the preparation guide to see if your device meets all the requirements.
I hope that this guide helped you update your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to F1 GalaxyNexus Android 4.0.4 ICS custom ROM. Use the comments section to post all your extra questions.