Update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich with FoxHound GreyFox ROM Firmware
The FoxHound GreyFox is a custom ROM firmware created by an XDA forum member. It can be applied on Galaxy S2 devices easily by following all the instructions in this article.
Make sure to read all the instructions listed in this article and that you’re an advanced Android user that knows how to use CWM recovery and how to flash custom ROMs. Your device has to be rooted for this ROM to be installed.
FoxHound GreyFox reached the version 2 and it will update your Galaxy S2 I9100 to a custom Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware installation. Also, it might change your device’s kernel but if you perform a full wipe you should be safe and your phone will run smoothly after the update is complete.
Before moving to the ‘how-to’ guide you will need to learn how to prepare your device and how to backup all the important apps and files so that you will be able to restore them back after the FoxHound GreyFox ROM installs successfully. Here’s what you need to know and what to change before changing the Galaxy S2 I9100 firmware:
- backup the important files such as audios, videos, pictures, documents, pdf and all other files by moving them on your phone’s internal SDcard or, you can use the USB cable and move them on your PC.
- Android applications can be backed up and restored using the AppBak application for Android. Click this link HERE to learn how to download, install and use AppBak tool.
- The Galaxy S2 should be rooted and this section here features several rooting guides for I9100 devices; use them if your device isn’t rooted.
- Phone contacts can easily be synced with your Gmail account to be restored after the update is complete. Here’s a guide that teaches you how to do it.
- Text messages and call logs info can easily be saved using these two programs for Android: Call Logs backup & restore | SMS backup & Restore.
- It is recommended for you to save the APN and MMS Settings info because you might need it after the FoxHound ROM is installed as might not be able to browse the web and, this means that you will be forced to restore the internet settings.
- enable USB debugging.
- make sure to power your phone’s battery until it reaches over 75% charge levels so that it won’t discharge while updating the firmware.
- read all the instructions twice before applying them; just to be sure that you won’t skip neither one.
That’s all the extra info and the other applications required to backup your most important files from your Galaxy S2 I9100 phone.
Now that you know all this, you need to note that in case something goes wrong and your device gets bricked and you won’t be able to use it after the custom ROM installation then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial.
Also, it is recommended for you to be an advanced user when it comes to Android devices and their sub-system files. With all that being said, now it is safe to move to the tutorial guide.
How to update Galaxy S2 I9100 with FoxHound GreyFox v2 Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROM firmware:
- Download the FoxHound ROM zip file from here. Save it on your PC desktop.
- Connect your phone to your computer and then move the ROM firmware zip file on your phone’s internal SDcard. Do not create any subfolders, simply drop the ROM file on the sdcard’s main directory.
- Disconnect the phone from your computer.
- Now, power off the Galaxy S2 as you will then need to boot into recovery mode.
- With the phone now OFF, you need to boot into CWM recovery mode. It can be done by pressing Volume Up and Center buttons at the same time and, while doing this you need to press Power and release it.
- Now, Recovery mode will boot and you need to wait until it shown its main screen.
- When in recovery mode, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm the data deletion. When done, move to the next step.
- Now, select ‘wipe cache’ and after that completes select ‘wipe dalvik cache’. When both cache wiping actions are complete you need to move to the next step.
- Select ‘install from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’.
- Navigate to the FoxHound ROM firmware zip file, the one you moved at step 2. Select it and then confirm its installation.
- Wait for the new custom ROM to be applied and then you will need to select ‘++Go Back++’.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and then complete the Android setup wizard.
- When done, restart the phone and put it back in CWM recovery mode.
- Now, repeat step 8 and wipe the cache and dalvik cache once again.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the new FoxHound GreyFox v2 custom ROM first boot to complete and load your Galaxy S2 home screen. That’s it.
NOTE: If your phone gets bricked or the first boot screen doesn’t load the home screen after ten minutes, then you will need to remove the phone battery and then re-insert it. Reboot again into recovery and repeat all the steps listed in the tutorial guide above because you might’ve forgot to apply one or two steps and that made your custom ROM installation to fail.
If you have any questions regarding Galaxy S2, Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich or FoxHound GreyFox custom ROM, then you should post them in the comments sections. Also, if you can’t seem to successfully install the new ROM then you should use the same ‘comments’ field to ask for help.
Below you can find a short video presenting the FoxHound GreyFox v2 custom ROM running on my Galaxy S2 I9100 smartphone: