The Galaxy S2 has received from some time new ROMs like CM10 Official and an unofficial AOKP build. Now, an XDA forum member managed to create a mix between AOKP and CM10 that can be installed on the Galaxy S2 I9100 devices. Read all the instructions listed in this article and you will learn how to successfully flash the Vanilla RootBOX custom Jelly Bean ROM.
This is a custom ROM that is based on the CyanogenMod 10 official preview build and on the unofficial code of AOKP which means that you will get with Vanilla RootBOX custom ROM. It will bring all Jelly Bean features and functions such as the Project Butter interface, Google Now etc. If you wish to install this new custom ROM you will have to read the preparation guide info first and only afterwards you should be able to install all the Vanilla RootBOX custom ROM without too much trouble. Here’s what you need to do:
- install the custom ROM only on the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100 and not on the I9100G. Also, don’t attempt to install it on any other different Android device.
- create a Nandroid backup of the ROM you’re currently using on your phone. This backup can be restored in case the new Vanilla RootBOX custom ROM displays bugs or any other problems.
- you should be using a rooted device that has CWM Recovery installed.
- to backup applications, APN Settings, Call Logs info and SMS text messages using the following applications: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync your Phone Contacts with your Google account. This will backup all the phone numbers that are currently stored on your device.
- your device should be running the official Android 4.0.3 XXLPQ firmware. If yours ins’t then you should install that first and only afterwards you should move to the tutorial. Also, it has to be rooted and this guide here will help you apply the root.
- Enable USB debugging option for your Galaxy S2.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery is fully charged before installing the new custom ROM.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case you damage the phone or you lose data. Make sure that you know your way around all the tools and CWM recovery image before moving to the tutorial. You are installing this Vanilla RootBox ROM at your own risk.
I think that these are all the guidelines you needed to read and now you should continue with the rest of the installation instructions. In case you cannot update your phone, use the comments section at the end of this article and ask for help.
Do not skip any of the steps listed in the tutorial as that will result in a failed attempt to flash the custom ROM.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to Vanilla RootBOX custom ROM
- Download the custom ROM zip HERE. Don’t extract the files contained within the zip.
- Connect your phone to your PC using USB cable and move the ROM zip file on its internal SDCard.
- After the transfer is complete you have to unplug the phone from PC and then power it OFF.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery by holding simultaneously ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ and when the screen powers on you can release them. The I9100 device will boot into ClockworkMod recovery. Use the volume rocker to highlight the options listed in the steps below and press ‘power’ button to select them.
- When you’re in the main CWM Recovery menu you have to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm that you wish to wipe data. This step won’t delete the contents of the internal / external sdcard.
- Next, select ‘mounts and storage’ and from the next screen select ‘format system’ to wipe the system partition. When this process is complete you should return to the main Recovery menu.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file you transferred at step 2 and confirm that you want to install it.
- Use the AROMA installer screens to select the options you wish to install until the ROM is fully installed.
- To complete the installation select ‘FINISH’ and your SGS2 I9100 will be rebooted and after that it should load the Vanilla RootBOX ROM.
- Note that now your phone will perform its first boot into this new custom ROM and you should wait at least five minutes for it to complete. In case the first boot takes over 15 minutes, then it means that the ROM wasn’t installed correctly and you should repeat the entire tutorial once again.
When the first boot process completes the loading of all files, your Galaxy S I9100 will boot into Vanilla RootBOX CM/ AOKP ROM. Enter your Google Account details and take control over your phone.
These were all the steps that you take in order to correctly flash your device with this new custom ROM. Make sure that you use the comments sections and tell us how and if this ROM works correctly. Also, use the same comments section for extra questions and extra tips / tricks that will improve the performance of your phone.