Update Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 to AOKP JB build 5 ROM
AOKP JB build 5 is the first release by Android Open Kang Project team that it is based on the Android 4.1.2 AOSP. Use the instructions listed in this post and you should manage to flash the update without too much trouble. All files are working with the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 which is the international variant.
This new AOKP JB Build 5 brings several tweaks and improvements that are all based on the latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean release. However, this is not an official Samsung update. It fixes several bugs and errors. Also, there are several tweaks and new features that were added so that you should be able to get the best out of your Galaxy S3.
To be able to flash these files, you will first have to read the preparation info and that will teach you how to manually backup the SMS, Call Logs and other important files currently stored on your device. More guidelines that will help you flash the custom ROM can be found below:
- Make sure that your device is an International Samsung Galaxy S3 which has the I9300 as model number. This info can be checked in the ‘About device’ menu, that can be found if your open Settings.
- The Galaxy S3 has to be rooted and the CWM Recovery should be installed on it. Without these you cannot flash this new update.
- Also, you can choose to firstly update your device to Android 4.1 XXDLIB firmware ( guide here ), and after that you can root it ( guide here ). If your device is already running on Jelly Bean then you will find it easier to flash this new Official AOKP JB Build 5.
- All important files should be transferred to your device’s internal SD card or on your PC.
- Create a NANDROID backup of your currently installed Android ROM. This file can be easily created from ClockworkMod Recovery or using ROM Manager/ ROM Toolbox Lite. Also, you will find the backup helpful in case something goes wrong after you install the new AOKP build 5 files.
- If you want you can backup a list of installed apps, APN Internet Settings, Call Logs and SMS with these utilities: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android.
- To backup your Contacts, use this guide here to learn how to sync them with your Gmail.
- Enable USB Android Debugging option and make sure that your smartphone’s battery has enough power stored in it, as you wouldn’t want for it to drain before you manage to flash all files.
- Read the entire post and only when you’re sure you know what you’re doing, you should begin the installation of AOKP custom ROM.
Don’t skip any steps that I have listed in this article. In case you cannot complete the install, then you should use the comments section to ask for any extra help and we will try to offer you a solution to your problems. Note that this guide should be applied in under 5 minutes if you correctly apply all steps.
How to flash Official AOKP JB Build 5 on Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the custom ROM zip HERE. Save it on PC desktop screen and don’t extract its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean HERE. Get the file for Jelly Bean and not the older versions.
- Connect the smartphone to your PC and then move these files on its internal SD card. Unplug the Galaxy S3 from computer when the transfer is complete.
- Power off your smartphone and then boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. Do it by pressing ‘Volume up’ + ‘Home center’ + ‘Power’ buttons. Press volume up to confirm that you want CWM Recovery to load.
- Now you should be taken to the custom recovery screen and the first thing you should do, is to ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Select that and then confirm the process. Move to the next step when the process is complete.Note that in case you’re coming from an older AOKP JB Build 4, then you can skip this step.
- Select the option that says ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the new menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ‘AOKP JB build 5′ zip file and confirm the custom ROM installation.
- When the ROM is installed you have to select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Browse for the Gapps zip file and confirm its installation.
- After both zip files were successfully installed, then you should return to the main CWM Recovery screen. Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Now your device will now perform its first boot process under AOKP JB Build 5. Note that this might take at least 5 minutes to complete and you should simply wait for that to happen.
- After first boot process is complete, you will see the new AOKP / Android 4.1.2 build 5 home screen. Take control over your phone and begin testing all its features. That is it, you’ve successfully flashed the latest AOKP JB ROM.
In case the first boot process takes too long to complete, then you should remove the phone battery and after 5 seconds you should put it back in its place. Repeat the tutorial starting with step 4 and this time make sure that you apply all the steps that I have listed above.
If you don’t like the new ROM, then you should restore the backup of the previously installed ROM. Use the comments section to ask for extra help.