Update Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 to Official Android 4.1.2 XXELKC OTA Firmware
Today, Samsung pushed the new Android 4.1.2 OTA firmware update for their Galaxy S3 I9300 model. You can use this tutorial to learn how to successfully update your device using the manual method. Read the entire post and you should be able to update the International S3 easily without problems.
The OTA firmware has the I9300XXELKC version and it brings the Android 4.1.2 JZO54K build for your Galaxy S3. The first country to get the update was Poland, but you can still use this guide to flash the same OTA firmware file for any other International variant of SGS3. The main features present in this update are the following ones:
- Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean version JZO54K is the OS.
- Multi-View or Multi-Windows. A features that has been firstly released for the Galaxy Note 2.
- Page Buddy.
- A revamped Gallery application UI.
- Notification panel with customization support.
- The Brightness Slider in the Notification Panel can be disabled in this new update.
- Smart Rotation.
- Page Artist app and the Group Cast app.
- New Swype-like keyboard that has been demoed in the Android 4.2 OS.
- Multiple enhancements and other small features were also added so that you’ll get the best possible Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Experience.
These are all the new features of the XXELKC I9300 firmware and if you wish to install it, then you should first take a look at the pre-requisites list and guidelines below:
- Use this guide only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300. It won’t work for the US versions of the phone and you shouldn’t attempt to install the update on them, as it is possible that you brick them.
- If your device is rooted then this guide will surely un-root the phone. That means that you’ll get back the warranty for the device.
- If you’re currently running a firmware from a different country than Poland or you’re running a custom ROM, then it is possible that this OTA firmware update will delete all the contents of your phone. That’s why you should create backups of all SGS3 stored files.
- Make sure that your computer has all the Samsung USB drivers installed. If you’re not sure that you can use Samsung KIES to install them or you can use these download links: Samsung USB drivers for Windows 32-bit ( x86) | Samsung USB drivers for Windows 64-bit (x64).
- Disable Samsung KIES when you’re using ODIN to flash the new XXELKC 4.1.2 firmware.
- Disable all antivirus applications from your PC.
- Enable USB Debugging options from the Development Options.
- This is a guide for advanced users who know how to use ODIN tool to flash new firmware files for Android phones. Do not attempt to update your device if you’re a novice, as it would be better to wait for the official OTA 4.1.2 update notification.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and your device gets bricked in the process.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed. If you’re having problems with the updating process, then you should leave a detailed comment at the end of this post.
I think that these are all the guidelines you had to go through and now you should move to the next part. Learn how to flash the new update firmware on your smartphone.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S3 to Official Android 4.1.2 XXELKC Jelly Bean Firmware:
- Download the Android 4.1.2 XXELKC OTA Update file from HERE.
- Next, extract the zip content and you should get a single file that should have a ‘.tar’ or ‘.tar.md5′ file extension. That’s the firmware update and you shouldn’t extract any further. Leave the folder on your PC desktop screen.
- Download ODIN application from HERE. That should be Odin 3 v3.04 zip file. Extract the ODIN files to the same folder as the firmware file. Now get to the next step.
- Power off your Samsung Galaxy S3 completely by removing its battery. Re-insert the battery after 5 seconds have passed.
- Boot your phone into Download Mode. It can be done if you press simultaneously ‘volume down’, ‘home’ and ‘power’ buttons. Release the buttons when the screen powers on and then press Volume Up to confirm that you wish to boot the SGS3 into Download Mode.
- Launch ODIN3 v3.04.exe file.
- Connect your Galaxy S3 to your computer via USB cable. Odin should display the ‘added!!’ alert in its message box. Get to the next step. NOTE: If this doesn’t appear, then you should re-install all Samsung USB drivers and enable USB debugging option on your phone.
- In ODIN window you have to click on ‘PDA’ and then browse your PC for the ‘.tar.md5′ file you’ve extracted at step 2. That’s the Android 4.1.2 XXELKC firmware update file and you have to load it into ODIN.
- Don’t change any default ODIN options and make sure that ‘Re-Partition’ option box is not enabled, as if it is, then you need to disable it.
- Press the ‘Start’ button to begin the Android 4.1.2 XXELKC update on your Galaxy S3. Do not press any other buttons and simply wait for the install process to finish.
- After the install of the OTA 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware is complete, Odin will say ‘PASS’ and your device will restart by itself. When the SGS3 displays its Samsung boot animation logo, unplug it from your computer and then you’re done.
- Now, your device boots into its new OS and you can begin to test all of its new functions. Tell us in comments which is the best new Android 4.1.2 feature and if you like the overall performance of your phone after installing the update.
The Samsung Galaxy S3 should boot normally and you can exit this guide. However, if you’re experiencing any problems then you should read the ‘notes’ below.
NOTE: In case Odin freezes or the update is not completed successfully and you see the ‘FAIL’ alert, then you should unplug the device from PC, then remove its battery, re-insert it after 30 seconds and then boot again into Download Mode. Repeat the entire tutorial and you should be able to flash the update at your second attempt.
NOTE2: If Odin displayed the ‘PASS’ alert but your device is unable to get past the boot animation logo, then you will have to wipe the data from your phone’s /system partition. That, will force the phone to load with this new firmware update but you will lose the installed applications, sms and all other contents stored on your device memory. However, the contents of the SD card will be left unchanged and you can retrieve them after applying the steps below:
- Power off the device by removing its battery.
- Re-insert the battery after 30 seconds.
- Boot it into recovery mode. It can be done if you press at the same time the ‘volume up’, ‘home’ and ‘power’ buttons. Release them when the screen flickers as the SGS3 will continue to load the recovery mode.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm it.
- Return to the main recovery screen and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Now your Galaxy S3 will boot normally into Android 4.1.2 XXELKC Jelly Bean.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your phone.
- That’s it, your phone should be running on the latest Jelly Bean firmware and you can test all of its new features.
For any other questions, please use the comments field at the end of this post. We will try to offer you solutions to any problems or roadblocks you might’ve stumbled in your quest to update your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 to the latest and official Android 4.1.2 firmware version.
Also, check back in a few hours to find out how to successfully root this XXELKC / JZO54K Jelly Bean 4.1.2 firmware. Rooting your device will allow you to flash new custom ROMs and multiple other new customization files that should improve the overall looks and performance of your phone.