Samsung released a new update for the Galaxy S3 I9300 International variant phone and it is codenamed XXBLG6. Use the instructions that I’ve listed in this article and you will learn how to manually update your I9300 to Android 4.0.4 ICS XXBLG6 firmware. Read the entire tutorial and only after that you should begin to apply these changes.
This is an Android 4.0.4 update and it has been released for the International UK / Europe variants of Galaxy S3. It fixes the audio crackling bug that was reported by numerous users. Before we can begin to install this update you should read the preparation guide first as you will learn what steps you need to take in order to successfully flash the XXBLG6 ICS 4.0.4 Firmware on your I9300 device.
The new update for SGS3 has been released by Samsung as an OTA update, but not all users received the notification which means that owners of International Galaxy S3 can use the files in this post and manually update their phones easily. Make sure to take into consideration the guidelines below and only after that you should move to the tutorial guide:
- this update will work only with the Galaxy S3 I9300 international model. The model number can be checked by opening Settings and then scroll down to ‘About phone’ and there you should have the info.
- you might be forced to wipe the phone’s data and this means that you should backup the important files by moving them on your devices’s internal sdcard. The SDcard won’t be deleted by the wipe process.
- to backup only installed applications, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Settings use these applications: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. The APN Settings should be saved so that in case you won’t be able to use the data connection then you will be able to use this app and restore the original internet settings values.
- Also, it is recommended that you create a full backup of the ROM that you’re currently using on your phone.
- Sync your Phone Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB debugging option from your phone’s Settings menu.
- Install Samsung KIES on your PC to install the Samsung USB drivers for your phone. After you install the drivers you should disable KIES and uninstall it, as this app isn’t compatible with ODIN and the steps you’ll need to take in order to successfully install the new update.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t power off while you’re installing the XXBLG6 ICS firmware.
- We won’t be responsible if your device will be damaged during the update nor in case it gets bricked. You should apply these steps only if you’re an advanced Android user that knows how to use ODIN and other similar apps that are needed when it comes to installing new firmware on Android phones.
- I9300 phones that are rooted will have the root access revoked. If you wish to root the XXBLG6 firmware you will need to return to our website in the next weeks as you will find a guide to help you with that.
That’s all the extra info you needed to read and now since you’ve backed up your files you should move to the tutorial. Remember that in case you cannot complete the guide or you can’t understand some of the steps I’ve listed then you should ask for help in the comments field, you’ll find it at the end of this article.
How to install Official XXBLG6 Android 4.0.4 ICS on your Galaxy S3 I9300
- Download the XXBLG6 rom zip file HERE. Extract the zip contents in a folder saved on your PC. You should get a file with the ‘.tar.md5’ or only ‘.tar’ extension.
- Download ODIN 3 v3.04 here. ODIN is the application that you will need to use in order to successfully flash the new update. Extract ODIN contents in a folder saved on your computer.
- Power OFF your device and then boot into Download mode. This can be done by pressing and holding simultaneously ‘volume down’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. When the screens powers on you should release the buttons and then press ‘volume up’ to confirm Download Mode.
- When your I9300 phone is in download mode you will need to return to your PC and launch ODIN executable.
- Now connect your smartphone to your computer via USB cable. ODIN should display a confirmation message. If it doesn’t say ‘added’ then it means that your PC doesn’t have the Samsung USB drivers installed. Return to the preparation guide and flash those drivers. When everything is set and ODIN says ‘Added!’ then you will continue the tutorial guide.
- Next, in ODIN press the ‘PDA’ button and browse your PC for the file downloaded and extracted at step 1. It should be the ‘I9300XXBLG6_I9300OXABLG6_I9300XXLG6_HOME.tar.md5’ file. Load it into Odin. Do not change any default ODIN setting, and disable the ‘re-partition’ option if this one is enabled. When you’re done move to the next step.
- Now you can press the “START” and Odin will begin the installation of the XXBLG6 ICS 4.0.4 firmware on your phone. Do not touch any buttons, just wait until the process is complete.
- When the update is installed your I9300 device will reboot and Odin should display a ‘PASS’ message. NOTE: in case ODIN says that the installation was failed or it gets stuck, then you will have to close ODIN, remove the phone’s battery, re-insert it and repeat the entire tutorial once again starting with step 3.
- After the installation is complete your device will restart and when the Samsung boot logo appears you are free to unplug the device from your PC. Wait for the Android 4.0.4 ICS home screen to load and enter your Google Account details so that you’ll take control over it.
If the device cannot go past the boot logo, then you will have to apply the extra steps below. This will force the device to boot normally, but you should know that you will be forced to wipe data, which means that you will lose all installed apps. The internal and the external sdcards won’t be touched by this process. Here’s what you need to do:
- Power OFF your device and boot into custom recovery mode.
- Enter Recovery mode by pressing ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons until the display powers on.
- When the recovery mode loads you will need to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and wait for this process to complete.
- Now ‘select wipe cache’ and confirm.
- After the data wipe and wipe cache actions are completed you will need to select ‘reboot system now’ and now your phone will restart and boot normally into Ice Cream Sandwich XXBLG6 firmware.
That’s all the info you needed and now your phone should be updated to the latest Android 4.0.4 firmware. If you have any other questions please post them in the comments under this article.
Return to our web site in the near future as we will host a guide on how to root XXBLG6 ICS for Galaxy S3 I9300 devices.