Several days ago, we saw an official leaked release of Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean made available for use and today, a second one has been leaked and now you can use the instructions listed in this article and learn how to successfully install it on your device. It will revoke any root access and you should only install this update if you wish to get a taste of the upcoming official release of Jelly Bean 4.1.1 for S3.
This leaked update is of XXDLH4 Firmware and it packs bug fixes, improved apps and multiple functions have been optimized. Before starting the update you should read the preparation guide below and learn what steps to take before flashing the new official, but leaked, XXDLH4 Jelly Bean Firwmare. The date of this update has been set for August 14 which might seem like it would be the latest official firmware.
If you want to install this update, you should first create a full NANDROID backup of the existing ROM. This is recommended for users with rooted devices. However, if your device isn’t rooted but you still wish to install this update then you might skip the full backup and move directly to the installation, but remember that you will lose all the data stored on your phone.
Now that you know all this info above, I strongly recommend you to move to the pre-requisites guide below:
- You can install this update only on the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 phone. Note that this is a pre-release XXDLH4 firmware and you shouldn’t install it on any other phone. Check your Galaxy S3 model number by opening Settings and then checking the ‘About device’ info. If your device is a I9300 then you can continue to the next step.
- Make sure that you will move all the data from the phone to your computer. It is possible that Odin will delete the entire internal sdcard.
- Enable USB debugging option from your phone’s Settings menu.
- Sync your Phone Contacts with your Gmail account so that you won’t lose your saved phone numbers.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that the device won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- Please note that you’re installing this new XXDLH4 firmware update at your own risk and you should try to install it only if you’re an advanced Android user and you know what you’re odin and that you know how to boot into download mode, CWM recovery and use ODIN.
- Make sure that you read the entire tutorial before beginning to flash the new files.
- We cannot be held responsible in case your device gets damaged during the update.
- Your computer should have the Samsung USB drivers installed on it and if yours doesn’t have them installed then you should install KIES. Note that you will need to disable KIES while using ODIN.
i think that these are all the pre-instructions and now you should move to the tutorial guide and learn how to successfully flash the new update files on your smartphone. In case you cannot complete the update you should tell us in comments. Also, you can use the comments section to leave tips and tricks for Android devices. Now that you know all this, I think that you’re ready, start the update.
How to Update Galaxy S3 to latest Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean XXDLH4 firmware
- Download the XXDLH zip pack from HERE. Save this file on your computer.
- Extract the contents in the zip and save them in a single folder.
- Open that folder and launch ODIN 3.04 application. After ODIN main screen loads you can move to the next step.
- Now power OFF the smartphone.
- Boot into Download Mode. This can be done by pressing and holding simultaneously the ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ + ‘home’ buttons at the same time. When the screen loads you can release the buttons.
- Now, connect your phone to your PC via USB cable. ODIN should say now that the device was added. If otherwise, it means that the USB drivers for your device weren’t installed and you should first install them and after that you will need to repeat the tutorial from step 3. If everything is set and working you can move to the next step.
- Next, make sure that the option that says ‘Re-Partition’ is not enabled. If it is enabled, you have to disable it. Now click the ‘PDA’ button in ODIN.
- Browse your PC for the file named ‘I9300XXDLH4_I9300OXADLH4_I9300XXLH1_BTU.tar.md5′. Load it in ODIN and after that click the START button.
- Your phone will restart when the files are installed successfully and when the Samsung Galaxy S3 logo appears you can unplug the phone from PC.
- If everything went according to plan then you will see the Jelly Bean home screen. Enter your Google details and then take control over your phone.
NOTE: In case ODIN gets stuck during the flashing process you should close it, disconnect the phone from PC, power the I9300 OFF, remove its battery, then re-insert it back on and then repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 3.
If ODIN completes the installation and the device restarts but it cannot go past the boot logo, then you should apply the instructions listed below:
- Power off the phone by removing its battery.
- Re-insert the battery in its original location. Boot into custom recovery mode by holding simultaneously ‘home’ + ‘power’ + ‘volume up’.
- When custom Recovery main screen appears you should select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm the actions. This will delete all the files from your phone, including the ones stored on its internal sdcard.
- After the data wipe is complete you should select ‘reboot system now’.
- Now your phone will restart normally and you can use all Jelly Bean functions.
These are all the instructions that I had for you and now you should begin the testing process of the XXDLH4 firmware. Make sure that in case you find extra bugs, errors or you have some tips and tricks for us, then you should leave them as comments at the end of this article.