Several days ago an Android 4.1 leaked firmware was available for users worldwide and it had the XXDLH8 version build, and now, it seems like another leaked firmware has been launched and its version is XXDLH9. You can use the instructions in this article and you’ll learn how to successfully flash all the firmware files using ODIN application manually. Note that this guide is for users who know how to use ODIN and CWM recovery.
This new release will come with bug fixes and with some JB improved functions. Seeing that more and more Jelly Bean 4.1 firmware are leaked, it might seem like Samsung is getting ready to launch the official update to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for their Galaxy S3 I9300 device. However, at this moments, this leaked release of XXDLH9 Jelly Bean works and it fixes some problems that were present in previous installments and you should give it a test run.
In order to install this ROM, you will first need to prepare your device and so you’ll make sure that all the new firmware files will be successfully installed. Here’s what you need to know:
- Install it only on the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300. Check the variant of your smartphone by opening Settings and then checking the info listed under ‘About device’ menu. If it says I9300 then you’re good to go. If otherwise then you shouldn’t try to install this ROM on Android devices with different model numbers.
- You have to transfer all the important files on your computer as this firmware and ODIN will delete the contents of your phone and it might also wipe the contents on the internal sdcard.
- You should sync the Phone Contacts with your Gmail account so that you’ll be able to restore them back on your phone after the update is complete.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t power OFF during the update.
- Enable USB Debugging option from the Settings -> Development menu.
- Install the Samsung USB Drivers so that your device will be recognized by your computer when connected. You can download the drivers by clicking one of the following links: Samsung USB drivers for Windows X86 – 32bit || Samsung USB Drivers for Windows X64 – 64bit.
- The USB Drivers can be installed via Samsung KIES also, but you should know that while ODIN runs, KIES should be disabled as otherwise you won’t be able to flash the firwmare update files.
- Disable the Antivirus and Antimalware applications that are running on your PC.
- We cannot be blamed in case you damage your device and you should make sure that you know your way around ODIN, CWM Recovery etc.
- Note that this guide should be applied by advanced users and you should backup all important files before starting the update.
- Don’t skip any of the steps listed in the tutorial, as that will result in a failed attempt to update your device to XXDLH9 Jelly Bean firmware.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you should move to the next part of this article and learn how to properly flash all the new firmware update files. In case you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for help in comments.
How to update Galaxy S3 to XXDLH9 Jelly Bean Firmware:
- Download the XXDLH9 firmware zip from HERE. Save it on your PC desktop.
- Extract the Contents in this zip file and you will get 2 files, one that has the ‘.tar.md5′ extension and the other one should be the ‘Odin’ zip file. After that you should extract the ODIN zip files.
- After you download those files you should power OFF the device.Wait 5 seconds after that so that the S3 will power OFF completely.
- Boot into Download Mode by holding simultaneously the ‘volume down’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. When the screen powers ON you should release the buttons. Press Volume Up to select the Download Mode. Move to the next step.
- Launch ODIN executable file.
- Connect your S3 I9300 device to your PC and then wait until Odin says ‘Added!!’. This means that all drivers have been successfully installed. In case it doesn’t say added, then you should re-install the USB Drivers and disable all the security apps that are running on your computer. Also, you can try to switch the USB ports.
- Click the ‘PDA’ button in ODIN and after that you should browse your PC and load the XXDLH9 firmware .tar.md5 file. It should be the file you obtained at step 2.
- Don’t change any default ODIN Settings and make sure that the ‘Re-partition’ option is disabled. Now you can click START and wait for the firmware to install successfully.
- After the XXDLH9 Android 4.1 JB is installed, the phone will reboot and ODIN should display an alert saying ‘PASS’. When the Samsung boot logo is displayed on your phone, you can disconnect it from the PC.
- If ODIN gets stuck or it cannot install successfully all files and it displays a ‘FAIL’ alert, then the firmware wasn’t installed and you have to power off the device. After that disconnect it from PC, close ODIN, remove the phone battery and then reinsert it and re-start the tutorial guide starting with step 3.
- If everything was installed successfully and the phone boots normally, then you should only enter your Google Account details and regain full control over your I9300 smartphone.
NOTE: After the device reboots and ODIN says ‘PASS’, but the phone gets into a boot loop and it cannot load normally, then you will have to perform a Facotry Reset via 3e recovery. It can be done by reading the instructions below. These actions will delete all data stored on your phone, which means that you will lose contacts, installed apps, SMS etc. Here’s what you need to do:
- Boot into 3e Recovery mode by pressing and holding ‘home’ + ‘volume up’ + ‘power’ buttons.
- When the Samsung screen powers ON, you can release the buttons. Use volume keys to navigate through the Recovery menu and the ‘Power’ or ‘home’ buttons to select the actions you’re about to apply.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and after that you should confirm that you want to apply this step.
- After the factory reset process is complete, you have to return to the main 3E recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’ option.
- Your Galaxy S3I9300 should restart normally into Jelly Bean 4.1 XXDLH9 firmware.
- Enter your Google Account credentials and that should do it, your phone has been successfully updated.
That’s it, now you should begin the testing of this new firmware. Make sure that you will post all the bugs and errors you find while using the firmware. Also, use the comments field to post any extra questions you might have regarding this new ROM.
Keep an eye on our website as new Jelly Bean 4.1 updates should be made available for the Galaxy S3 in the near future.