OmniROM team has launched its first Nightly Android 4.4 custom build for the Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone. Read this entire post and you’ll learn how to successfully update your device with this new custom ROM.
OmniROM is a new project created by Xplodwild, Chainfire and Dees_troy along with multiple other contributors. There are tons of other users that have worked on releasing unofficial builds and now, based on that work, the OmniROM team has managed to compile a full working Nightly build for your device.
The Nightlies are based on Android 4.4 AOSP and besides KitKat new features it also adds a new non-obtrusive incoming call notification window, flippable quick settings, multi-window, multi-workspace modes, visual improvements for the entire UI, DSP Managed enhanced, per-app permission control in Settings. There are tons of other tweaks that you’ll notice after testing this new custom ROM.
These OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightlies are still on their development stage and you should read the preparation guide before starting the update:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300.
- Do not attempt to flash the OmniROM Nightly KitKat build that you find here on any other Android device, as you will end up bricking it.
- The Galaxy S3 that you’re about to update has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
- Factory Reset is required for this new ROM to successfully install on your smartphone.
- this process deletes all data from the system partition, while the internal / external storage won’t be affected.
> in case you decide to skip the Factory Reset, then you should know that the phone might not boot in normal mode after the installation of OmniROM is complete.
> you can skip this step only if your Galaxy S3 already runs on a previous OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly ROM.
> skipping this step and the phone not booting in normal mode after that will force you to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- If you want to backup data from installed applications then use the Helium app from Google Play Store — link here.
- Backup SMS and APN Internet Settings with the following Android apps: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync Contacts data with your Gmail account.
- guide here.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Check the phone’s battery power level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that it will prevent the Galaxy S3 from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- In the tutorial you’ll find the step that teaches you how to create a NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM. Don’t skip it.
> this will set the restore point for your phone, one that can be used in case you don’t like the new OS.
- This is a guide for advanced users, read the entire post and don’t skip any steps.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case you brick your phone or lose any important data in the process.
Since you’ve read all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your device with one of the best upcoming custom KitKat custom ROMs.
How to flash OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly custom ROM for Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the OmniROM KK Nightly zip from here.
- make sure to sort by ‘last modified’ and download the latest build.
- Download Gapps for this custom Android 4.4 ROM here.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer, then move both zip file to its internal storage.
- don’t unzip the files.
- after the files are copied, disconnect the device from computer.
- Power off your Galaxy S3 now.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery Mode.
- guide here for those that don’t know how to do it.
- First, create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
- select ‘backup and restore’ option, then save the file on your phone and continue to the next step when done.
> this process will set a restore point for your device, one that can be used in case your device doesn’t boot in normal mode with the new ROM.
> don’t skip this step.
- Now you can apply the Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
> don’t skip the factory reset unless you’re on a previous OmniROM Nightly.
- Next, flash the new OmniROM Android 4.4 KitKat zip:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the custom ROM zip file and confirm its installation.
> don’t press any buttons until the installation is complete.
- Select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the Gapps zip. Install it.
- When both OmniROM Nightly and Gapps zips are installed you should return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- wait for the first boot process of this new ROM to complete, as it should take at least five minutes.
- Enter your Google Account details when the OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly home screen appears.
- take control over your smartphone and then start testing all of its new features.
These were all the instructions that you had to follow in order to successfully update your device with the latest OmniROM KitKat Nightly.
If the first boot process takes too long to complete or in case the Galaxy S3 enters into a boot loop, then the installation has failed. You have to repeat the entire tutorial once again and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed above.
If you have any other questions or in case you cannot complete the tutorial, then you can ask for extra help in comments. We will try to come up with solution for any problems that you might find in your quest to update your Galaxy S3 with OmniROM KitKat Nightlies.
Remember that this custom ROM will be supported continuously, so you should check for new builds constantly.
NOTE: In case you don’t like the new OmniROM KitKat or how your device works with it, then you can use the NANDROID Backup files of your previously installed ROM and restore the Galaxy S3 to its state.