Update Samsung Galaxy S3 T-Mobile to AOKP JB-MR1 Build 3 (Android 4.2.1 ROM)
AOKP team just got to their 3rd build of AOKP JB MR1 ROM and now you can use this post to learn how to flash it on your device. All the info that you need can be found in this post and you should read it first before starting to flash the custom ROM. Also, make sure that you ask for help in comments in case you cannot complete the install.
There are several new features integrated in this new build 3 of AOKP JB MR1 like the UI mode selector that allows you to choose from Phone, Phablet or Tablet modes; transparency controls for the entire ROM, Car Home, Lockscreen allows timeout and instant lock for slide, Quick Unlock, Hiding NavBar feature, Menu UI overflow, Last App toggle and multiple others.
In order to make sure that you successfully install the AOKP JB-MR1 build 3 ROM on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3, read the guidelines below:
- Use this tutorial only for the T Mobile variant of the Galaxy S3. It won’t work with any other Galaxy S3 variants and you shouldn’t attempt to install the files you find in this post on any other android device.
- Your phone should be rooted and running a custom Recovery image.
- Use the CWM or TWRP Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will act as a restore point for your device in case something goes wrong during the installation.
- Backup all important data by moving it on to your device’s internal SDcard. This will be the only part left unchanged after installing the new custom ROM.
- SMS, Call logs info and other data can be saved using the following utilities for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access is required for some of these tools.
- Contacts can be saved using the Gmail account. Make sure to enter the same Google Account after installing this new ROM.
- Enable USB debugging option. Make sure that your device’s battery is fully charged.
- Don’t blame me in case you brick your phone or you lose any important data in the process.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps listed below.
These were all the instructions that you had to go over before getting to the next part of this installation process.
NOTE: If your device is already running a previous AOKP JB ROM then you can skip the ‘factory reset’ step and install this new custom ROM over your current OS.
How to install AOKP JB-MR1 Build 3 ROM on T-Mobile Galaxy S3:
- Download the ROM zip from HERE or HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t unzip.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.2.1 from HERE. This is the file that you will have to install in order to get all Google apps on your device after upgrading the ROM. Save the file and don’t extract the contents.
- Connect your device to your PC. Copy the downloaded files on your SGS3 internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from PC when the files are copied.
- Boot your device into CWM Recovery by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power at the same time.
- OPTIONAL STEP: select ‘backup and restore’ in order to create a full NANDROID backup of the current ROM. If you have such file on your device then you can skip this step.
- Now, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm. NOTE: if your device is running on an AOKP JB rom then you can skip this step.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’. Then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the AOKP JB MR1 zip file. Confirm the installation.
- Select once again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the Gapps zip. Confirm the install.
- When both files have been installed you should return to the main recovery screen. Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait until the first boot process completes. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your device.
- Test the new ROM and then tell us in comments which are your favorite new features.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the custom ROM installation.
If the install is not completed at your first attempt, then you should power off the device completely. After that you have to repeat the tutorial and this time you have to apply the actions listed under step 6. AOKP JB MR1 ROM might not install at the first attempt.
In case you have any extra problems installing the ROM, then you should ask for more help in comments.