Update Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 to Official XXDLIB Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Firmware
Samsung Galaxy S3 International model number I9300 can be updated to official Android 4.1.1 XXDLIB Firmware, which means that this is indeed the first official Jelly Bean release for this particular phone. Use the instructions that I’ve listed in this post and you will learn how to successfully apply the update using ODIN application.
This official Jelly Bean update for I9300 brings a brand new Project Butter interface that will make your device more smoother, faster and it should provide a better overall performance. Also, there are two homescreen modes, revamped Settings, brand new notifications section, Google Now, support for adjustable Pop-up play window etc.
Use this tutorial if you wish to flash XXDLIB Android 4.1 firmware with ODIN application. This guide is destined for those users that don’t want to use KIES or the OTA function. Before starting to apply this update, you should read the preparation guidelines and learn how to correctly configure your PC and your smartphone so that everything will complete successfully.
Rooted devices will lose root access after flashing the update, which means that you should return to our website in the next few days; we will post an XXDLIB Android 4.1 ROOT tutorial. This is an official/ stock Samsung update and applications that require root access will not work after you install it.
It was first launched in Poland, but you can install it on any SGS3 international with model number I9300. Now that you know all of the above, I think that you should move to the pre-requisites below and learn what you should do and what requirements does your smartphone need, so that the Jelly Bean 4.1 firmware update will flash without problems. Here’s what you need to know:
- Do not attempt to flash XXDLIB I9300 firmware on other Android smartphones. It won’t work as this update was officially launched by Samsung only for the Galaxy S3 model number I9300. Check your phone’s model number by opening Settings and then look at the info listed under ‘About device’ option.
- Disable all the antivirus applications that are currently running on your PC, so that no other application will interfere with the updating process.
- Move all your important data files onto your computer and after the tutorial is complete you can restore the files using the USB cable.
- Enable USB Debugging option from the Android Development menu. This is a very important step and without this option enabled ODIN will not flash the new firmware.
- Also, make sure that you have the latest Samsung USB Drivers. You can install them using KIES or you can choose to download them from these links: Samsung USB drivers for Windows 64-bit ( x64) OS | Samsung USB drivers for Windows 32-bit (x86) OS.
- In case you’re on a rooted S3 then you can use the following tools to save your apps, SMS, APN internet Settings and the Call Logs: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that you should restore this data only after you apply a root over the XXDLIB firmware.
- Sync Contacts with your Gmail account so you won’t lose any phone numbers and contact details currently stored on your SGS3.
- Charge your phone’s battery until its power level goes over 60%. This will prevent the S3 I9300 from switching off in the middle of the firmware update process.
- This tutorial should be applied by advanced Android users.
- Do not blame us in case your device gets bricked in the process.
- If you can’t install the new Jelly Bean firmware, then you should re-read this preparation guide and make sure that your phone meets all the requirements.
- Use the comments section for more help. Also, there you can post all the bugs and errors you find while testing the XXDLI8 Android 4.1 official ROM.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you should move to the tutorial. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps listed below as that will result in a failed firmware update attempt and you will then be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
How to install Official Android 4.1 XXDLIB Firmware on Galaxy S3 I9300
- Download the XXDLIB Jelly Bean firmware file from one of these two locations: HERE or HERE. It is a zip and you should save it on your computer’s desktop.
- Next, extract its contents until you obtain a file that has the extension ‘tar.md5′ or ‘.tar’. Do not extract this file any further. There will be another file called ‘ss_dl.dll’, but you shouldn’t worry about it; just leave it where it is.
- Download ODIN application from HERE. Extract the ODIN zip contents in a single folder on your desktop.
- Switch off your Galaxy S3 I9300 device completely.
- Boot it into Download Mode. It can be done by pressing simultaneously ‘volume down’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’. When the screen powers ON you can release the buttons. Press ‘volume up’ again to select Download Mode.
- Launch ODIN executable on your PC. After ODIN launches you should connect the smartphone with the computer using the USB cable. Odin should display a confirmation alert. In case it doesn’t say ‘Added’, then you should re-install all Samsung USB drivers or you can change the USB ports. If ODIN recognized the phone, move to the next step.
- Now click the ‘PDA’ tab from ODIN’s window and browse your PC for the ‘ I9300XXDLIB_I9300OXFDLI1_I9300XXDLIB_HOME.tar.md5‘ file. It is the same file you’ve extracted in step 2. Make sure that the ‘Re-partition’ option is not selected. Also, do not change any other options.
- Press the ‘Start’ button in ODIN and the flashing process of XXDLIB Jelly Bean firmware will start. Odin should say ‘PASS’ when the update has been completed and the I9300 Galaxy S3 will restart.
- When the Samsung logo appears you need to unplug the smartphone from PC and wait for the boot process to complete.
- Now you should see the new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean home screen. Enter your Google account and then you’ll take complete control over your smartphone’s functions.
NOTE: In case ODIN doesn’t complete the install, it freezes, it displays an errors such as the ‘Fail message’ then, it means that the update wasn’t applied and you should unplug the phone from PC, close ODIN window, remove the S3 battery and after that re-insert it, then boot again in Android Download Mode and repeat the tutorial starting with step 5.
NOTE 2: If Odin displays the ‘PASS’ message, the phone restarts but it cannot go past the boot logo, then you will be forced to boot into custom recovery mode and apply a factory reset. Note that this step will delete contacts, apps, SMS etc. Use the instructions below to learn how to boot into recovery and how to perform a factory reset. If the phone boots normally, then you can skip the steps listed below.
Here’s how to boot custom recovery mode:
- Power off your SGS3 I9300 completely.
- Press ‘Home’ + ‘Volume Up’ + ‘Power’ buttons and when the screen switches ON you can release the buttons.
- When the main Recovery menu appears, you should select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm this process.
- Now you have to select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the phone boot normally.
- That should do it. In case your device is still unable to boot properly, then you should revisit the preparation guide, which is above the tutorial.
I hope that you’ve managed to successfully flash all the XXDLIB Jelly Bean 4.1 firmware update files and that now you’re able to test Google’s latest Android OS. Post all your comments, tips and tricks, questions, impressions or any other thought that crosses your mind in the comments field.