Samsung Galaxy S3 was only launched several weeks ago and there are already multiple threads and guides that you can use to root, install custom recovery images, remove bloatware etc. Now, multiple XDA developers have started to create working custom ROMs for Samsung GS3 devices and here, in this post, you will find instructions on how to update it with popular WanamLite custom ROM.
WanamLite custom ROM is stable and it is based on the latest leakes ICS for Galaxy S3, it has been deodexed, rooted and zipaligned, automatic SMS encoding supported, Unlimited SMS recipient list, Pegasusq Governor has been tweaked and your device’s battery life will be extended, bloatware was removed, Call Recording feature was added, AOSP keyboard is included and multiple other features were improved and tweaked for a better Android 4.0.4 ICS performance.
This custom ROM is based on Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich ZSALED firmware and it has been created by Wanam, an independent ROM developer who previously worked on WanamLite ICS for Samsung Galaxy S2 devices. His new ROM for SGS3 is smooth, stable and battery friendly, and if you’re an Android enthusiast then you should really give it a try.
Before we can start to update the Galaxy S3 with WanamLite ROM, you will have to read the preparation guide info and learn how to backup your data and to make sure that you know which apps you will need to use in order to backup applications, SMS, APN settings, Phone Contacts etc. Here’s what you need to know:
- in the tutorial guide you will find a step that tells you to wipe all data, which is why you will have to move all your important files to your internal or external sd card. These will be left unchanged and you won’t lose any data. An alternative location for these files might be your computer’s hard drive, as you can move them using the USB cable.
- Applications can be backed up using the AppBak tool from Google’s Play Store. Use the instructions listed under that guide and you’ll learn how to save the apps currently installed on your Galaxy S3 device.
- SMS Text messages and Call Logs info should be saved using these programs: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore.
- Phone Contacts need to be synced with your Gmail account. If you don’t know how to do it, then use this ‘how to sync Contacts with Gmail’ guide.
- Internet APN Settings can be saved and you can use them after the update is complete. These values should be restored only if the internet isn’t working when you finish flashing WanamLite ROM and that’s why this is optional, as the ROM contains multiple APN lists and you shouldn’t experience any problems with it.
- USB Debugging mode should be enabled.
- Charge your Galaxy S3 battery until it reaches over 70% power level and this will prevent it from powering off while updating the firmware.
- CWM Recovery, CWM Manager, ROM Manager or even ROM Toolbox Lite can be used to create a full backup of your currently installed ROM. Please note that usually these services and apps are installed after the device is rooted and you surely have CWM Recovery installed, as otherwise you won’t be able to flash any custom ROM release.
- remember that your device has to be rooted and Clockworkmod Recovery should be installed on it. If not, then click the Samsung Galaxy S3 link, the one listed under the article’s picture, and you will be taken to a page where you’ll find helpful guides on how to root Galaxy S3.
Now that you know all this, you are free to move to the tutorial guide. Note that neither we nor Wanam will be held responsible if you damage your phone or files will be corrupted during the update. Read the entire tutorial guide twice and make sure to use the comments section to ask for help.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.0.4 ICS Stable using WanamLite custom ROM:
- Download the ROM zip file from here.
- Move the file on your phone’s internal or external sd card. After the transfer is complete you need to power off the phone and disconnect it from your PC.
- Now, boot into CWM Recovery. Press ‘Volume Up’ + ‘Home’ + ‘Power’ and it will load clockworkmod recovery.
- When you’re in the main recovery menu you need to firstly select ‘wipe data / factory reset’. Confirm.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next recovery screen select ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’ or ‘choose zip from external sdcard’. Find the WanamLite ROM zip and confirm that you wish to install. Please note that the location depends on where you’ve copied the zip file.
- Wait for the new custom ROM to be flashed. When it’s done, CWM Recovery will display a confirmation message and you can select ‘++go back++’.
- Next, select ‘reboot system now’.
- The Galaxy S3 first boot of WanamLite ROM is now in progress. Allow it at least 10 minutes to complete. When the setup account wizard is shown, you simply need to enter your Google credentials and that’s it, now your Samsung Galaxy S3 is running with a brand new custom ROM.
Please note that in case the WanamLite custom ROM first boot takes way too long to complete, then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial, as you surely have done something wrong and the update wasn’t successful. Remember that if you’re coming from a different ROM then the ‘step 4’ shouldn’t be skipped and you really need to wipe all data and perform a factory reset. Also, you can choose to ‘wipe cache’ as well as ‘wipe dalvik cache’. However, if you have trouble completing all these steps then you should ask for help in comments.