Cyanogenmod team did it again, the official CM9 Nightly build for Galaxy S3 is now ready and you can use this post to learn how to apply it right on your device without too much trouble. Read all the info I’ve listed in this article and make sure to respect the guidelines I’ve listed in the preparation guide, as that part teaches you how to backup data and other important files that are currently stored on your device.
Galaxy S3 smartphone is available worldwide and the CyanogenMod team decided that it was about time they release a working and official Nightly build of their CM9 ROM, custom ROM that you need to download and flash from CWM Recovery. The new CM9 Nightly build ROM can be applied only on rooted Galaxy S3 devices. If yours isn’t, then you should turn your attention to the preparation guide.
CM9 Nightly is released by CyanogenMod team and because it is a beta release, you might find some bugs and errors like the one that makes the FM Radio to stop working. The Camera is working but it might FC from time to time. The developers that only these bugs have been detected and that it is possible for users to find some other small errors and bugs. However, as you know, CM9 Nightly builds are released on a weekly basis and all these errors should be fixed in future releases. Now that you know all this, I think that you’re ready to move to the preparation guide and learn what actions you need to take before starting to flash the new CM9 custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone:
- during the CM9 Nightly custom ROM installment you will be asked to wipe the entire phone data. This means that you will have to move all the data stored on your phone’s memory and put it on the internal / external sd card, as these two parts will be left unchanged.
- this official CM9 Nightly ROM can be installed only on Samsung Galaxy S3 phones that are rooted and running CWM Recovery. This guide HERE will help you root and install Clockworkmod recovery on your Galaxy S3.
- the installed applications can be saved using AppBak backup and restore tool.
- SMS, Call Logs and APN Settings info can all be saved using these applications: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Backup & Restore.
- Contacts should be synced with your Gmail account. Here’s a guide to learn how to sync all your phone contacts with your Google account.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is fully charged and only afterwards you are free to move to the tutorial guide.
- Enable debugging mode.
- Using the CWM Recovery function you can create a full backup of your currently installed ROM. Also, you can go to Google Play Store and install CWM Manager, ROM Toolbox or any other small tool.
These are all the guidelines you had to read and learn how to backup data and what steps you have to take before moving to the proper CM9 update tutorial guide. Remember that you’re applying these changes at your own risk and we cannot be held responsible if you damage your phone. Make sure to read all the steps and avoid skipping any of them as that will result in a failed SGS3 custom ROM installation attempt. Use the comments field to post all your questions.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S3 to CM9 Nightly custom ROM:
- Download the CM9 Nightly build zip file from here.
- Download the Gapps zip file from here. Make sure to select the latest Cyanogenmod 9 based Google Apps package. This file will install Gmail, Gtalk, Google Play Store, Calendar and all other Google based applications needed to properly take control over your SGS3 device.
- Next, connect your phone to your PC and transfer this files directly on its internal or external sdcard. Do not create any extra folders, just drag and drop the zip files on the sdcard’s root.
- After the transfer is complete you need to disconnect the device and power off the phone completely.
- Now, boot into CWM Recovery. It can be done by pressing ‘volume up’ + ‘Home’ + ‘Power’ buttons. Wait for the main CWM recovery screen to appear and after that move to the next step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and Confirm the action. This step will remove all the files from your phone, except for the internal and external sdcard contents.
- Now we need to install the CM9 Nightly ROM. Do it by selecting ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ or ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’. Select the ROM zip to install. Wait for the process to complete. Note that the select option depends on the location where you’ve dropped the ROM package.
- After the CM9 ROM has been installed you will need to install Gapps zip. Repeat the steps listed at step 7 and make sure that now you select the Gapps.zip to install. Confirm this process and then move to the next step.
- Select ‘++go back++’ and then ‘reboot system now’. Wait for the first boot to complete and that would be all. Now you need to enter your Google account details and you can start using your smartphone and test the CM9 Nightly ROM.
NOTE: in case the first boot process cannot complete, then it means that you’ve done something wrong and the custom ROM wasn’t installed correctly. Now you will have to repeat the entire tutorial once again and this time, make sure to respect all the steps I’ve listed above.
If everything went according to plan and now your phone is running the latest CM9 Nightly ROM then you should tell us in comments if you’re satisfied with it and which functions / services have been better improved after the ROM firmware update. If you have any extra questions use the same comments section to post them and we will try to help you complete the tutorial and learn how to use CM9 Nightly on your Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone.