Use this post and learn how to update your Cricket Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.3 using the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM files. Read this entire post and you should be able to complete the installation in under five minutes.
To make sure that you correctly apply the update, then you will need to take a look at the guidelines below. Using these preparation steps you will learn how to setup the smartphone and create a NANDROID backup for your device. Here’s what you need to know:
- This guide will work only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 on Cricket Wireless.
- Do not attempt to update any other Galaxy S4 device using the files I’ve listed in this post.
- The phone has to be factory unlocked, it should be rooted and running a custom Recovery image like CWM or TWRP.
- The tutorial will ask you to factory reset the device. This will delete the system partition contents such as installed apps data and SMS, Call logs info and other similar files.
- To backup SMS, call Logs info and APN Internet Settings use these apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some apps.
- The internal sdcard contents won’t be affected by this installation.
- Sync your Gmail account with the Contacts info so that you will not lose any important data files in the process.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Make sure that the battery has enough power left before switching off. If the phone powers off in the middle of the updating process, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- This is a guide for advanced users, so you shouldn’t blame us in case you lose data or you brick the phone.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps in the process.
These were all the guidelines you had to go over before continuing to the interesting part of this post. If you cannot complete the update then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to install CM 10.2 Nightly ROM for your Samsung Galaxy S4 Cricket:
- Download CM 10.2 Nightly ROM from here.
– don’t unzip the contents of this file.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your device with the compute via USB cable.
- Move both files to your device’s internal SDcard. Disconnect the device from PC when the files are copied.
- Now you can power off the smartphone.
- Boot the device into CWM or TWRP Recovery Mode.
– both custom recoveries are supported by this guide.
– if you don’t know how to boot recovery mode, use the info listed here.
- Create a NANDROID backup of the current ROM like this:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’ option, then use the backup option to confirm the process.
– TWRP Recovery: press Backup. Select the files you wish to save and confirm.
- Now you can apply ‘factory reset':
– for CWM Recovery select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– for TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm this process.
– if your device already sports a previous build of the CM 10.2 Nightly, then you can skip this step.
– if the phone doesn’t boot after the installation, then you should return to this step and apply ‘factory reset’.
- Next, install the custom CM 10.2 Nightly ROM:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM zip and confirm the installation.
– TWRP Recovery: press Install, then find the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM. Confirm.
- When the installation is complete, then you should return to the main Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now and wait for it to boot into normal mode.
- Enter your Google account details when the home screen appears. Take control over your device and start testing the new features and functions.
These were the steps that you had to follow in order to update your Galaxy S4 Cricket.
If the ROM doesn’t install at your first attempt, then you should repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps and use the comments section to ask for extra help.
Also, if you don’t like how this new CM 10.2 Nightly ROM works with your Galaxy S4 Cricket phone, then you should use the NANDROID Backup file created in step 7 to restore your device to a working state.
If you do like the new ROM, then you should know that you can continue updating it with new CM 10.2 Nightlies using the CyanogenMod Updater under Settings.