Update Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 to Official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUAMDK firwmare
Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500, which is the Exynos 5 Octa variant, can now be restored to its stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean using this tutorial. Use the instructions that I have listed in this post and you should be able to finish the install successful easily without bricking your smartphone.
The Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean stock firmware has the build number XXUAMDK and it packs all Samsung original features and functions. It is a great way for you to use this file in order to restore it to stock OS. It is destined to be used by Galaxy S4 owners who installed new custom ROMs or any other customization files in order to change their Android experience. This stock firmware will revoke any root access, you’ll find more info in the preparation guide.
In order to make sure that you successfully apply the stock Jelly Bean XXUAMDK 4.2.2 firmware build on your Galaxy S4 I9500, then you should first read the guidelines below:
- This guide will work exclusively with the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9500, the Exynos 5 Octa model. Don’t try to flash this I9500XXUAMDK file on any other Android device, as you will end up bricking it.
- Check your phone’s model number through Settings, then open About phone and see what it says under Build Number section. If your phone has the I9500 version listed then you can continue to the next part of this post.
- Your phone has to be factory unlocked, as this stock firmware will not work with carrier locked devices.
- Make sure that you have the Samsung USB drivers installed on your computer. This will connect your phone with the app we’re gonna use to restore it to stock firmware.
- Disable the Samsung KIES and all the other security programs that are currently installed on your computer. This will prevent any program from interfering with the installation process.
- Enable USB Debugging option from the Android Development Options menu. If the Developer Options doesn’t appears listed in the Settings menu, then you will have to tap the About Phone section and after that tap 7 times on the Build Number text. This will enable Developer Options for your phone.
- Backup all your important data files before starting to apply the instructions listed in the tutorial.
- It would be best for you to backup your Contacts data by syncing it with your default Gmail account. Guide here.
- Remember that your phone will be restored to stock firmware, which means that root access will be revoked and any custom Recoveries uninstalled.
- The Galaxy S4 battery should have enough power left before switching off. You wouldn’t want your phone to power off in the middle of the Android 4.2.2 Stock firmware installation.
- This is a tutorial for advanced Android users. Do not attempt to flash the files in case you’re a novice and you don’t know your way around Android Download Mode or ODIN program.
- If you cannot complete the install, then you should ask for extra help in comments and we will offer you viable solution for any type of problems that you might encounter.
- Note that we cannot be blamed if you brick the phone or you lose any data in the process.
These were all the preparation steps that you had to go over before starting the stock Jelly Bean firmware installation. Now you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDK stock Jelly Bean OS for the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500:
- Download the I9500XXUAMDK stock firmware zip from HERE. Save the file on your computer.
- Extract the contents of the downloaded zip and place them in a single folder on your desktop screen. You will get a file with the .tar or .tar.md5 extension and you shouldn’t extract any further.
- Download ODIN 3.07 from HERE. save it to your PC.
- Unzip the file and save all files to a single folder.
- Power off the Galaxy S4 completely.
- Boot it into Android Download Mode. Do it by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons, all at the same time. Release the buttons when the display shows an Android logo, then press the Power button to load the Download Mode.
- Launch ODIN executable from step 4 and then get to the next step.
- Connect your Galaxy S4 to your PC via USB cable. ODIN will say ‘added!’, which confirms that the phone has been recognized and you can install the stock Jelly Bean OS.
- In Odin, click the PDA button and then browse your PC for the I9500XXUAMDK .tar or .tar.md5 file. Load it into ODIN and then get to the next step.
- Do not change any default settings of ODIN. Make sure that the Re-partition option is disabled.
- Press ‘START’ when you wish to begin the installation of the stock Jelly Bean OS. The process will take at least 10 minutes to complete and you should wait until all files have been flashed successfully.
- When the installation is complete, the phone will restart and you can disconnect it from PC when the Android boot logo appears.
- Enter your Google Account details and start to customize the home screens to suit your needs.
NOTE: if ODIN doesn’t say ‘PASS’, it says FAIL instead or it freezes and doesn’t complete the install after 15 minutes have passed, then yo should disconnect the device from computer. After that you should remove the phone’s battery, close ODIN. Now, re-insert the phone’s battery back into its place and repeat the entire tutorial. This second time you should make sure that you won’t skip any steps.
In case ODIN says PASS but the phone doesn’t go past the boot animation, then you will need to power off the device completely and disconnect it from your PC. Boot it into Recovery mode and apply a factory reset. After that simply restart the phone and it should boot into normal mode without problems.
After the phone boots into normal mode, remember to restore all the data that you backed up before starting the installation.
These were all the steps that you had to go over and successfully install a the original Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDK Jelly Bean OS for the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500, the Exynos 5 Octa phone.
If you cannot complete the install, then you should leave a detailed comment at the end of this post and we will try to offer you a working solution for any type of problems that you might have encountered.