Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505 has been released a few days ago. This guide will be very useful for users who installed new custom ROMs on their smartphones and now wish to return to stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware. Read all the info that I’ve listed below and you should be able to complete the process in under 10 minutes.
Installing a stock firmware will restore your device to its factory settings and operating system. Note that you lose root and custom Recovery after applying all the changes. All the Samsung Nature UX and TouchWiz features will be re-installed. You’ll see for yourself after the install is complete.
I9505XXUAMDM is the stock firmware of Samsung Galaxy S4 and it is not carrier branded. It has been pushed out for Germany region, but you can install it on any SGS4 unlocked smartphone. The build date is April 12th and it is a file that all those who’re planning on installing new custom ROMs, should have it stored somewhere in their PCs or smartphones.
In order to make sure that you successfully flash this stock firmware for your device, then you should read the guidelines below:
- Use this guide only for the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505. Don’t try to flash these files on any other smartphones or tablets.
- This I9505XXUAMDM Jelly Bean 4.2.2 build will work with any SGS4 I9505 device that’s factory unlocked, except for those based in Taiwan, China and Hong Kong.
- Installing this firmware will revoke root access and restore the warranty for your device.
- Make sure that your computer has Samsung Galaxy S4 USB Drivers installed on it.
- Disable Samsung KIES and any antivirus applications that might be running currently on your smartphone.
- Enable USB Debugging from your phone’s Android Developer Options menu.
- Any custom Recovery that your device features right now, will be removed from your phone and stock recovery re-installed.
- This installation might remove all the data from your phone, which is why it would be better for you to move all your important files to your PC applying any changes.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Make sure that your device’s battery has enough battery power left before starting the installation.
- Read the entire article first and apply all actions that I have listed in the tutorial. Don’t try to use this guide in case you’re a novice and you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Don’t skip any steps.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong. We cannot be blamed if you brick the phone or you lose important data files.
- In case you cannot complete the install, then you can ask for extra help in comments. Make sure to leave a detailed comment explaining exactly where you got stuck and what steps you applied until now.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully flash the stock Jelly Bean firmware on your smartphone.
How to install Original Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS for the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505:
- Download the I9505XXUAMDM firmware file from HERE. Note that this file measures almost 1.7 GB.
- Save the file on your PC and then extract the zip contents. Place all the extracted files in a single folder and save it on your desktop screen.
- Download ODIN3 from HERE. Extract its contents and place them in the folder created in step 2.
- Now, switch off your device completely.
- Boot it into Android Download Mode like this: press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons simultaneously. Release the buttons when you see a triangle over an Android logo appear. Then, press Power once again and load the Download Mode, get to the next step.
- Launch ODIN executable on your PC now.
- Connect the Galaxy S4 to your computer using the USB cable. ODIN will say that the phone has been ‘added!!’. In case this message doesn’t show up, then you will have to change the USB ports or try to reinstall all the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 USB drivers, then start all over again from step 1.
- Now, if everything went according to plan, you need to click the PDA tab in ODIN. Load the I9505XXUAMDM firmware file with the .tar or .tar.md5 extension. Load it into ODIN and don’t change any other default settings.
- When you’re ready, you can hit the START button in ODIN and the install will begin. Now your device will be restored to stock Android 4.2.2 JB ROM.
- Note that the installation process will take several minutes before completion. Don’t press any keys until the install is complete.
- When the stock firmware is installed, you will notice that your device has rebooted and that’s when you can disconnect it from your PC.
- Wait for the phone to boot into normal mode and after that you can start to test the new OS.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully flash the new firmware file on your Galaxy S4. When the process is complete, ODIN will say PASS and you can begin to customize the home screens and all the other parts of your device.
NOTE: In case ODIN displays the ‘FAIL’ alert or it freezes during the installation, then you will have to disconnect the phone from PC and remove its battery to power it off completely. Close ODIN, then re-insert he phone’s battery after 5 seconds have passed. Now, you will have to repeat the entire tutorial starting and make sure that the second time you won’t skip any steps.
If ODIN says PASS but the phone refuses to boot into normal mode, then you will need to boot into stock Recovery and ‘factory reset’ the phone. This should force the Galaxy S4 to boot into normal mode and complete the tutorial process.
If you have any other questions or you cannot complete the install, then you should ask for extra help in the comments section. We will try to offer you a viable solution for any problems that you encountered in your quest of restoring your SGS4 to stock Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDM Jelly Bean ROM.