The latest build of Carbon AOSP custom ROM has reached Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Now you can use this post and flash the Carbon AOSP 4.3 for the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE phone. Read this entire post and you should be able to complete all steps in under ten minutes without bricking your smartphone.
This custom ROM is based on CyanogenMod 10.2 and Android 4.3 Jelly Bean AOSP. If you want to learn more about this new custom ROM then you can check the Carbon AOSP developer page here or their opened XDA thread here. Before starting the installation of Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 Nightlies on your Galaxy S4, you will first need to read the preparation guide below:
- This post will work only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE International model with model number set to I9505.
- Don’t try to update any other phones with the files you find in the ‘how-to’ part of this article.
- Your device has to be factory unlocked and rooted.
- Also, it needs to run a custom Recovery like TWRP or CWM. If yours doesn’t then you will find this info here very useful.
- A factory reset is required for a clean installation of the new ROM. This process will remove data only from the system partition.
- If you want to backup installed apps data then used these apps: Titanium Backup or Helium.
- Backup SMS text messages, call logs info and APN Internet Setting using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync your Contacts info with the default Gmail account you’ve set for your device.
- Enable USB Debugging from Android Developer Options menu.
- Make sure to create full nandroid backup for the currently installed ROM. This will set a restore point for your phone.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery power is over 50%.
- Read this entire post and don’t skip any steps.
- Don’t blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important files in the process.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post. If you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to flash Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 Nightly custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505:
- Download the custom ROM file from here.
– make sure to download the latest build available.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect the Galaxy S4 LTE to your computer via USB cable, then proceed and copy both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
- After both files are moved, disconnect the device from PC then power it off completely.
- Boot the phone into CWM or TWRP Recovery Mode.
– both custom recovery images are working with this post.
- First, create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is now running on the Galaxy S4 LTE:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’ option. Create the backup and save on your internal / external storage.
– TWRP: use the Backup option and confirm the process.
- Next, apply a factory reset for your device:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe button, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Now you can finally flash the new Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 Nightly ROM on your Galaxy S4 LTE I9505:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the custom ROM zip and confirm its installation.
– TWRP: press Install, then browse your device for the custom ROM zip. Confirm the process.
- When the ROM is installed, repeat step 8 and flash Gapps zip too.
- After both files are installed return to the main custom Recovery Mode menu. Reboot your device in normal mode.
- Enter the Google Account info and take control over your device now.
These were all the steps you had to take. If the installation doesn’t complete at your first attempt, then you should repeat the entire tutorial again or ask for more help in comments.