Samsung India has finally published the Android 7.0 Nougat update for their Galaxy S6 Edge G925I users.
Read the whole tutorial if you wish to install the update manually on your G925I Galaxy S6 phone before the OTA files arrive in your region. The roll out of Android 7 OS upgrade might not reach all users in the following days, which is why you can choose to use an alternative updating method.
Android 7.0 Nougat update brings the following new features: improved Phone app and stylized dialing screen giving it a new look and feel, tweaked battery indicator, two power saving modes for you to choose from and get better control over your phone’s battery life, a new power monitor that you can use to block various apps from using any battery, transparent app folders, Blue Light filter, a new Screen Resolution changer to get better battery life, new Device Maintenance that will improve optimization of various power and storage functions, revamped toggles, Video Enhancer that offers better video and sound quality, new Calendar app interface, third-party app functions can now be set as toggles, and others more.
If you are an advanced user and you’ve previously flashed a custom ROM on your Galaxy S6 Edge phone, then you need to know that using the ODIN app you can update the phone easily to Nougat OS. Remember that Odin is a great tool, but you still need to be careful when installing any new firmware with 3rd party apps and create backups before flashing anything.
Before starting the flashing process you should check the following guidelines:
- use this tutorial only for the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge SM – G925I models.
– check the version of your phone before starting the update.
- don’t try to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- download the Samsung USB drivers from here and install them on your PC.
- for the Android 7.0 update process you will have to use the ODIN 3.12.3 app, and for it to properly work you will have to install the above USB drivers and to enable the USB Debugging option from Developer Options menu.
– if you cannot find Developer Options, then you have to enable it first: go to Settings> About Device> Software Info, and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
– get back to Settings, find Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- you can install the new update over rooted firmware, but you have to know that root access won’t survive the update process.
– any custom Recovery that you might have installed on your Galaxy S6 Edge phone will be replaced with stock Recovery image.
- you can install the Android 7.0 update over a custom ROM, but a Factory Reset process has to be applied after the new firmware is done installing.
– Factory Resetting the phone will remove the data from system partition, it removes the custom ROM and it forces your device to boot in normal mode.
– the Factory Reset process won’t remove any data from internal storage.
– the Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of this post.
- in case your device runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you can get to the installation steps and start the update without losing any files.
- note that this tutorial has to be applied by advanced users, we cannot be held responsible in case you brick the phone.
- verify the battery charge level of your device, and make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before the phone powers off.
Since you’ve read all that you can get to the next part of this post.
If you’re unsure about using this guide to update your phone, then you have to manually check for new firmware updates by going to Settings> Software Update> Download Updates manually. If there is any new firmware ready for download, then you should simply confirm the process, and your phone will take care of the installation automatically.
How to install Android 7.0 Nougat official update for Galaxy S6 Edge G925I India:
- Download the Android 7.0 Nougat archive file from here.
- When the download is done you can unzip the contents and save them on your PC.
You will obtain the G925IDVU3FQD1 tar.md5 Nougat update file.
– don’t extract the tar.md5 firmware file contents, as that’s how you need to load in ODIN.
- Download Odin 3.12.3 zip from here.
- Power off your Galaxy S6 Edge.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- Launch ODIN exe on your PC.
- Connect your phone to PC via usb cable.
– wait for ODIN to detect your smartphone and then get to the next step.
– if the phone is not detected you need to reinstall the Samsung USB drivers.
- Go to ODIN and click the AP button.
- Now, find the G925IDVU3FQD1 Android 7.0 tar.md5 update file and load it in ODIN.
- Next, press START to begin the Android 7.0 update process.
– don’t press anything until the update is done.
- When installation is done you can see the PASS message, and the phone will reboot in normal mode.
Unplug the phone from PC.
- Use your normal login data in order to regain control over your device.
These were the instructions you had to follow in order to complete the Android 7.0 update process for your phone.
NOTE: if the FAIL message is shown by ODIN, then you have to try and repeat the entire guide once more. If you repeat installation you need to make sure your phone is detected by the PC and that you won’t skip any steps.
If the PASS message is displayed by ODIN, but the Galaxy S6 Edge enters in a boot loop, or it ends up stuck at the boot animation screen for more than 20 minutes, then you have to Factory Reset the phone’s system partition.
The Factory Reset process will wipe the system files only, and it can be used if you have installed the Android 7.0 update over a custom ROM. Here’s how to Factory Reset the device:
- power off the phone.
- boot your Galaxy S6 Edge G925I in Recovery Mode.
- select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- reboot the device in normal mode.
If you need any extra help you can tell us in comments.