The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 ( 7.0 inch model ) is the latest Android device that has received a preview build of CM10 ROM ans if you use the info that I have listed in this post, then you will learn how to successfully install it. This guide is destined to be applied on the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 inch variants with the model number P3100, P3110 and the P3113.
CyanogenMod 10 Jelly Bean preview build has been compiled by ‘codeworkx’, an XDA Elite Recognized Developer. For the moment this release is an unofficial beta testing ROM and you should only use it for testing purposes and not on a daily basis. That’s why before installing this firmware you should create a full backup of the existing ROM.
Use the guidelines below and learn how to correctly prepare your tablet so that the installation of this new CM10 preview ROM will be completed without damaging the device nor losing any important data. Make sure to read all the info below and in case you can’t understand some of them, then ask for more help in comments. Here’s what you need to know:
- This unofficial CM10 beta build will work only with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 inch, model numbers P3100, P3110 and the P3113. Do not install it on other Android tablets or smartphones, because you might brick those devices.
- To install this new custom CM10 ROM you will have to factory reset and this step is listed in the tutorial. This means that all apps and other files will be deleted by the update. However, if you move these files on your tablet’s internal sdcard, then you won’t lose them. Move all important files on your tablet’s SD card.
- Because this is a testing ROM and it might be packed with errors and other bugs, then you should create a full backup of the ROM that it is currently present on the tablet. This backup will then help you restore back the Android OS to a working correct status.
- If you wish to save independently of the ROM the applications, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Settings, then you should use the following Android applications: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync the Gmail account with your Phone Contacts app and you will save all the phone numbers that are currently installed on your phone.
- Your device should be rooted and the CWM Recovery mode files need to be installed. In case your device already meets these requirements, then you should skip this one. Use the ‘root’ tab of our website or click the device’s name, the one listed under the photo, and you’ll find numerous other helpful guides for your tablet.
- Enable USB debugging mode. Also, after that you need to make sure that the power level of your device is over 50%. You wouldn’t what for it to power OFF during the update process.
- Make sure to read the entire tutorial and that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed. Remember that this guide contains only a preview build of CM10 and it might have some bugs, which means that you should only install this ROM for testing reasons.
- Do not attempt to blame us in case your device will have bugs or errors after the update.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, I think that you can move to the tutorial. If you have any questions or, in case you have any extra tips and tricks or any other extra info regarding Galaxy Tab 2, CM10, Jelly Bean or other info related to this post, then you should tell us in comments.
How to install CM10 preview build Jelly Bean on Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) model numbers P3100, P3110 and P3113
- Download the CM10 beta ROM by clicking the specific device links below. Save the file on your computer’s desktop without unzipping the archive.
- Download CM10 Beta Preview for Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 7.0 inch model.
- Download CM10 Beta Preview for Galaxy Tab 2 P3110 7.0 inch model.
- Download CM10 Beta Preview for Galaxy Tab 2 P3113 7.0 inch model.
- Download the Google Apps zip package HERE. Save the file on your PC and do not extract its contents.
- After both the ROM and the Gapps package have been successfully downloaded, you should move them both on your device’s internal SD card.
- Power off your tablet and after that you should boot into CWM Recovery mode. Do this by pressing and holding ‘power’ and ‘volume down’ buttons simultaneously. When your tablet’s logo screen appears you will have to let go off the ‘Power’ button, but keep holding the ‘volume down’ button. Now the tablet will boot into CWM Recovery and you should move to the next step.
- When you’re in ClockworkMod Recovery, you should create a Nandroid Backup ( Full ROM Backup ). If you already created one before moving to this tutorial, then you should skip this step. If not, then you should select ‘backup and restore’ and then from the next CWM screen you have to select ‘backup’. Confirm that you want a full backup and when this process is complete you should move to the next step.
- Now select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm. Wait until the data is deleted.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file and confirm its installation.
- After the ROM was flashed you will need to repeat step 6 in order to install the “gapps” zip file. Do not install the ROM twice.
- After both the CM10 beta Android 4.1.1 ROM has been installed along the GApps file, you should return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the first boot into this new ROM completes. Note that in case this process takes over 15 minutes to complete, then something must’ve gone wrong and CM10 Jelly Bean preview ROM wasn’t installed correctly. This means that you will have to repeat the entire tutorial guide.
- If everything went according to plan, then you should enter your Google account details and regain control over your device. That should do it, your device is now runnint CM10 preview beta ROM.
If you don’t like how this new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean CM10 custom ROM works, then you should restore the backup of your previous installed ROM. If you have any other questions please leave them in the comments filed at the end of this post.