The Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000 has just received a preview build of CyanogenMod 10 ROM and this guide will teach you how to successfully install it. This is an alpha build of the CM10 and it uses Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean AOSP. Use all the instructions i’ve listed in this article and you will manage to successfully flash this ROM on your device without too much trouble.
The XDA Recognized Developer ‘cdesai’ is the developer that managed to create this working build of CM10. Use the preparation guide before moving to the tutorial and this will help you correctly configure your device so that you’ll manage to successfully install the new alpha CM10 ROM from your first attempt. This is an Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM and it is based on CM10, but since it is an alpha version, it means that it might pack some bugs and errors. Install this ROM only if you’re interested in testing Jelly Bean’s new Project butter that smoothens the transitions between screens and other UI performances. Also, it brings a better and smarter keyboard, advanced speech recognition, Google Now etc.
Wifi, Bluetooth, Calls, 3G, Messaging, front facing camera, audio are all working. The Auto-Rotation animation might be glitchy and the external SD isn’t mounted. Now that you know all this general info, you should move to the tutorial guide and learn how to successfully configure your device for the CM10 Jelly Bean updating process. Here’s what you need to do:
- Install this alpha CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1.1 only on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with model number P1000. It doesn’t work with other devices, not even with other Galaxy Tab 10.1 model so use this guide only with the P1000 device. This version can be checked by opening ‘Settings’ then open ‘About tablet’ and there you will have the model number of your Galaxy Tab 10.1.
- If you install this ROM, you will have to wipe all data and factory reset the device. This step is listed in the tutorial and this means that you will have to move all important files on your device’s internal SD card. The wipe data step will delete the installed apps and not the sdcard.
- Use the AppBak tool to save all your installed Android applications.
- To backup your SMS and Call Logs info, you should use the following applications: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore.
- Use APN Settings backup and restore app to backup the internet settings for your Galaxy Tab 10.1 P1000. This app will allow you to restore the original APN settings in case the internet won’t work after the update is complete.
- Sync your Phone Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB debugging mode.
- Make sure that your tablet’s battery is fully charged, so that it won’t power OFF during the update process.
- Note that this tutorial features the alpha build of CM10 for Galaxy Tab 10.1 P1000 and it might contain bugs and other errors, which means that you should create a full backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your tablet. This will then help you restore the file in case you’re unsatisfied with how CM10-based Jelly Bean ROM works. Use CWM Recovery or ROM Manager to create a full backup of your phone before installing the update.
- The CWM Recovery should be installed and the device has to be already rooted for this update to install its files.
- This guide is for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t attempt to install it in case you don’t know your way around ClockworkMod Recovery, Rooting files and similar advanced actions. Make sure to ask for help in comments in case you cannot complete the update process.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, I think that you’re ready to move to the tutorial and learn how to get the alpha CyanogenMod 10 release and the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on your tablet device. Do not skip any step that I have listed below.
Update the Galaxy Tab P1000 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean with CyanogenMod 10 Preview Build ROM
- Download the CM10 Preview build ROM zip from HERE. Save the file on your PC.
- Download the GApps zip file for Jelly Bean from HERE. Make sure to download the file for Jelly Bean and not the other one. Save it on your PC and this file will help you flash the Play Store, Google Now, Gmail, Gtalk and all other Google apps, that you need to use in order to take control over your P1000 tablet.
- Move both files on your device’s internal sdcard. Do not extract their contents. After the transfer is complete you should disconnect the phone from your PC and power it OFF.
- Boot into CWM Recovery by pressing and holding simultaneously ‘volume up’ + ‘power’ buttons until the tablet’s screen powers on.
- When in ClockworkMod Recovery you should first select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm the action.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then, from the next recovery screen select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Point to the CM10 ROM build and confirm that you want to install it.
- After the ROM has been installed you will have to repeat step 6 but, this time you have to install the GApps file the same way you did with the CM10 Preview build.
- When the ROM installation is complete you will have to return to the main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’. Now the first boot process into Jelly Bean CM10 alpha ROM will be started and this will take at least 5 minutes to complete. Wait until all files are loaded and when you’re asked, enter the Google account details to take control over your tablet.
- That’s all the info you needed to flash this new ROM and now you should start testing it.
In case the first boot process takes way too long to complete, then you should return to the preparation guide and re-read and after that make sure to move to the tutorial and apply all the steps I’ve listed. Do not skip the step that tells you to wipe all data. If you cannot complete the tutorial the second time, you should ask for our help in comments. Write all the steps you took and tells us where you got stuck. Eventually you will manage to install CM10 Preview Alpha build of Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on your Galaxy Tab 10.1 P1000.