Update Samsung Galaxy Vibrant to Unofficial CM 10.1 Jelly Bean 4.2 custom ROM.
The Vibrant version of Samsung Galaxy S has received a port of CyanogenMod 10.1 Android 4.2 ROM and, if you’re interested in testing it then you should use the instructions that I’ve listed in this article. Make sure to read all the info I’ve listed here and only if you’re an advanced user you should go ahead and install this new Jelly Bean 4.2 custom ROM build.
This port is from a Galaxy S ROM and its developer, FaultException from XDA, used a CM 10.1 to create this new custom ROM. It brings almost all the features of Android 4.2 AOSP ROM such as the Swype keyboard, lockscreen widgets, Quick Settings toggles, PhotoSphere and some other functions that will make your device more stable than in was on the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware.
However, there are some problems with this new ROM and it seems like the: lockscreen clock shows up incomplete, the setup wizard looks weird and some other minor bugs have been detected. That is why, you should only use this ROM for testing purposes and if you have a Vibrant model of Samsung that you can spare, then you can try this new CM10.1 unofficial Port.
Before you can begin the installation, you should read the preparation guide below and learn how to successfully set your Samsung Galaxy Vibrant for the CM 10.1 Android 4.2 unofficial custom ROM install process. Here’s what you need to know:
- This guide is destined to be used on Samsung Vibrant devices only. It won’t work with any other smartphones and you shouldn’t attempt to flash its files on other Galaxy variants. Installing this ROM on other phones will brick them and you might not be able to restore them to a working state.
- Use the tutorial only if your phone is rooted and if the CWM Recovery image is installed on it.
- Create a full NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM. You can use the CWM recovery mode or you can use ROM Manager or any other similar app. Do not install the new ROM over the previous one without having created a full backup. Remember that this is an unofficial port of CM10.1 that is incomplete and it has some functions that aren’t working. Use only for testing reasons and if you’re a novice, then it would be better to wait for a final and more stable version before deciding if you want to update.
- Sync your Contacts with the Gmail account, so that you’ll see them restored after your install the new ROM and use the same Google Account to control its functions.
- Enable USB debugging option from Development options.
- Charge the phone’s battery until it goes over 50% and you will prevent the device from switching off during the installation.
- Don’t install this ROM port if you’re a novice and note that we cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong or you brick the phone. You’re installing this update at your own risk.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed in this post. If you cannot complete the update and you hit any roadblocks, then you should tell us in comments and we will try to come up with a solution for your problems.
These are all the guidelines that you had to read and now you should move to the next part of this post and learn how to flash this new Jelly Bean custom ROM preview build on your smartphone.
How to update Samsung Vibrant with Unofficial build of CM 10.1 Android 4.2 ( Ported ROM from Galaxy S ):
- Download the custom ROM zip from HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Download the Google Apps zip from HERE. Don’t unzip its files and place the file on your desktop screen, just like the ROM file.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer using the USB cable. Move both files downloaded at steps 1 and 2 on its internal SD card. When the transfer is complete you have to disconnect the Android device from PC.
- Power off your Samsung Vibrant now. Boot the CWM Recovery mode by pressing: volume up, volume down and Power. Release the buttons when the display powers ON and the device will load the ClockworkMod Recovery files.
- The first thing that you need to do, is to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and then Confirm the deleting actions. When the data is wiped you can go to the next step. Note that the internal SD card contents aren’t deleted using this action.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then, from the new recovery screen options, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Unofficial CM 10.1 Android 4.2 ROM and confirm that you want to install it.
- The smartphone might restart during the ROM installation and after it resumes it will continue to flash the rest of the ROM files. When the custom ROM is installed, you need to repeat step 6 and flash the Gapps zip file. This will add all the Google Apps that your phone needs.
- When both files are successfully flashed, you should return to the first screen of CWM Recovery. Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until your Samsung Vibrant completes its first boot process with this new ROM. Note that this will take at least 5 minutes to complete.
- After the first boot is completed, enter your Google Account details and take control over your new Android 4.2 and CM 10.1 based ROM.
- Test all its features and tell us in comments if you find any errors while using it.
These were all the steps you had to take in order to flash all files that I’ve listed in the tutorial above. In case you don’t like this new update, then you should restore the ROM backup files.
Also, remember that the backup files are extremely useful in case you cannot complete the update or in case the new unofficial CM10.1 ROM files cannot be flashed on your Vibrant smartphone.