Update Samsung Infuse 4G to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 with JRO03 Custom ROM
The Samsung Infuse 4G handsets can be easily updated to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean OS thanks to a new custom ROM firmware which has just been made available by those of xda-developers. The update, named JRO03, is being based on the Galaxy Nexus software and it’s bringing the latest Android features to your phone. So, during the present step by step guide, we will be checking in how to install the same on your Infuse 4G smartphone. The upgrade can only be manually applied therefore you need to read all the lines from below for ensuring that you are doing everything as it should.
The Infuse 4G is a really interesting device, which has been released last year on January. Its specs are decent to high end, the 1.2 GHz Cortex-A8 processor, 8 MP rear facing camera, 4.5 inch Super AMOLED Plus capacitive touchscreen and the 16 GB of internal storage being its strengths. Unfortunately, when it was first launched, the phone was running the Android Froyo OS, though now Samsung managed to update the same to Gingerbread. But with such a smartphone who doesn’t want more? That’s why, you should flash the Galaxy Nexus based JRO03 custom ROM and update your Infuse 4G to Jelly Bean firmware.
The ROM is coming with several enhancements for improving the performances of your handset, the major ones being related to: you will gain more control to the internal system, you will gain speed, the battery life will be improved and the OS will be optimized and customized so that you can obtain more power. On the other hand, the update is coming with several bugs and things that aren’t working. From what we could find out, the next list represents the issues from the system. Check it out and only after that decide whether to install or not the JRO03 custom ROM.
But remember that this isn’t an update released by Samsung and it has nothing to do with the mentioned company. Also, there is no info about a future OTA upgrade, so this custom ROM is the best option for you so far. As we are dealing with a beta firmware, for being able to apply this tutorial, you will have to prepare your phone. The procedure is not hard to understand and applying it will only take a couple of minutes from your time, though you must pay attention, or else you can easily brick your Infuse 4G.
First of all, you will have to root the Samsung Infuse. The update cannot be flashed unless your phone has a rooted and unchained system. So, follow a root guide for removing the factory restrictions. Take note, as it’s important: the warranty will be void once you complete the root. Be careful in what you do and don’t perform something by yourselves, always follow a step by step guide. As soon as you make it through this, you need to install a custom recovery image on your phone. Then, you are almost ready for the updating process. As a recommendation, if you will want to restore the warranty, you must downgrade to the stock ROM or apply an official release of the firmware, provided by Samsung and suitable for your Infuse 4G.
As a final tip, it will be a good idea to backup the data. During the steps a full wipe will be required, so the info stored on your smartphone will be wiped out. With a backup completed you will be able to easily restore the data afterwards. Anyway, in the list from below I have mentioned some backup operations and the other pre requisites, which are vital if you want to safely flash the JRO03 Custom ROM for updating your Infuse 4G to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean OS.
- Learn how to backup the current ROM.
- Do the same and backup the messages by downloading SMS tools for Android.
- Also, save the call logs by using suitable backup and restore apps.
- Sync with Google and use the Android cloud and backup the contacts.
- Use a computer for saving other files.
- Then, you need to have access to a computer.
- On it and on your smartphone uninstall the security tools.
- Then, enable the USB debugging option on your handset
- Charge its battery or make sure that there is at least 70% power left.
- Remember to root, install a custom recovery image and backup the data.
Well, you can now go to the next and final section of this tutorial. Make sure you are applying the steps only for the Samsung Infuse 4G device and not for similar ones as you can brick them. Be careful in what you do and try not to mess things up.
How to Update Samsung Infuse 4G to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 with JRO03 Custom ROM
- Download the update file from here.
- Place or save it to your computer.
- Then, by using the phone’s USB cord, connect the Infuse with the PC.
- Select the downloaded file from the computer and copy paste it to the handset.
- Remember where you place the tool.
- Next, remove the USB cable and disconnect the device.
- Turn it off, or reboot.
- Enter in recovery mode.
- You can do this by pressing on the Volume Up and Volume Down Rocker Keys while powering on.
- Then, from the recovery menu, first you need to select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” for wiping the data.
- In the end select “+++go back++”.
- Up next, select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card” and pick the update file you have saved before on your phone.
- Click “yes”.
- Wait until the installation process is over.
- Then select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”, this being the last step.
That’s all for today; your Samsung Infuse 4G is updated now with the Galaxy Nexus based JRO03 Custom ROM firmware. Also, it should now run the latest Android ROM, the Jelly Bean operating system so test the same and see how it performs on your device. Share the problems with us and do tell us if there were issues during the installation procedure from above. Stay close for further step by step guides and Android related tips.