The Nexus S device has been launched two years ago but AOKP team continues to deliver new updates and ROMs for it. You can now install the AOKP JB Build 3 custom ROM on your Nexus S by using the instructions that I have listed in this post.
AOKP Jelly Bean Build 3 is the latest release of this new Android Open Kang Project ROM and it will bring numerous tweaks and improvements for your device. Also, there are new functions and features like the SMS QuickReply, Expert Calculator functions like Matrices and Graph were added, IME Switcher and Vib / Ring toggle, Stopwatch and Countdown are now available in the Clock app. Bugs that were present in the previous releases were repaired and you shouldn’t find any other problems. However, if you do find errors or you encounter any Force Close alerts, then you should tell us in comments.
In order to correctly install this new custom ROM, you should read the prep guide below. Here’s what’ you need to do and correctly configure your Nexus S device for the installation of AOKP JB Build 3 ROM:
- Install this update only on the Samsung Nexus S phone and do not attempt to flash it on any other device, it won’t work and you might end up bricking some other phones for no particular reason.
- Your Nexus S smartphone should be on an unlocked bootloader.
- This guide will work only with rooted devices that are running the CWM Recovery on them. Don’t attempt to flash this ROM if your phone doesn’t meet these requirements.
- Move all important data files on your PC so that you won’t lose any of them in the process. Also, you can move all the files on the phone’s internal sdcard as this one will not be deleted in the process.
- In order to backup applications, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Internet Settings, use the following applications: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that these apps are for rooted device and it might not work with any devices.
- Sync all your Contacts with the Gmail account assigned for your device. After you install the AOKP JB build 3 ROM you can restore all contacts by simply entering the same Google profile.
- Charge your phone’s battery so that it won’t power off in the middle of the updating process. Also, remember to enable the USB Debugging option.
- Note that this tutorial should be applied only by advanced Android users and you shouldn’t blame us in case something goes wrong with the update. We cannot be held responsible if you brick the device, which is why you should first read the entire tutorial and only after that begin to apply the instructions listed below.
- Use ROM Manager app or CWM Recovery mode to create a full backup of the existing Nexus S ROM. This file can be used to restore your phone to its current state in case the new AOKP build 3 custom ROM isn’t working as it should.
- If you cannot complete the installation, please ask for more help in comments.
I think that these were all the guidelines that you had to read before beginning the updating process. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed in the tutorial below, as that will result in a failed attempt of installing AOKP’s latest Jelly Bean version.
How to install AOKP JB Build 4 on Samsung Nexus S
- Download the custom ROM zip file from HERE. Do not extract the files within the zip.
- Download the Gapps for Jelly Bean zip HERE. Download only the one file for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, the other files will not work. This file will install Gtalk, Play Store and all the other Google based applications.
- After both files were successfully downloaded, you should connect the Nexus S to your computer via USB cable. Move the AOKP JB Build 3 and Gapps zip files on the phone’s internal SD card. When the transfer is complete you should unplug the phone from computer.
- Power off the smartphone. You need to boot into CWM Recovery, now.
- Enter ClockworkMod Recovery by pressing at the same time ‘Volume up’ and ‘power’ buttons. When you’re in custom recovery mode you can first select the ‘backup and restore’ option and create a full NANDROID backup of the existing ROM. When the backup is complete you should return to the main recovery menu and proceed to the next step. In case you already have a backup, then you can simply skip this step.
- Now select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm that you want for this to complete. Note that this step will not delete the contents that are stored on your phone’s internal sdcard.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’. Find the AOKP JB build 3 zip and install it.
- When the ROM installs successfully, you should select again ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’ and install the Gapps zip.
- After both files were installed, return to the main CWM Recovery screen. Select ‘reboot system now’.
- The Nexus S is now restarting and you need to allow it at least 5 minutes to complete the loading of all new custom ROM services. Note that in case this first boot process takes over 10 minutes to complete, then it means that the update was not successful and you might’ve skipped a step. That’s why you need to power OFF the device completely and then repeat the entire tutorial.
- If the boot was successful and you’re seeing the home screen of your device, then the ROM has been installed and you can begin testing all of its brand new features.
- That’s it, now you’ve successfully flashed all the required files in order to get the latest AOKP JB build 3 custom ROM on your Samsung Nexus S phone.
If you have any other questions, please use the comments field and post them there. We will try to help all users to install this new ROM. Remember that in case you don’t like this new ROM, then you can use the former ROM backup and restore it using ROM Manager or the custom recovery mode.