Update Sony Xperia Acro S to CM 10 Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Custom ROM
CyanogenMod 10 is here and it’s now available for the Sony Xperia Acro S handsets as the Free Xperia Project team had managed to develop an update suitable for the already mentioned smartphone. So during the present step by step guide we will be checking in how to flash the CM 10 firmware on your Acro S, all being explained and detailed during the next lines. Of course we will first check the pre requisites and other things that must be completed before the proper installation procedure, so take your time and start upgrading your phone.
CM 10 is one of the most popular ROM available for the Android powered devices as it brings important features and capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the Android platform. By flashing such a software your Xperia Acro S will gain more speed, the battery life will be improved, the system customized and optimized, you will have more access to the internal system, you can personalize the looks and much more. So, a custom ROM is the best solution for those who are looking forward in taking full advance of their smartphones and of course for those who want to update to the latest platform available.
CM 10 is being based on the Jelly Bean OS, meaning that by installing the ROM you will be able to update your Sony Xperia Acro S to the Android 4.1.1 system. Also, you will receive all the Jelly Bean features and much more as the firmware is coming with its own capabilities too. Now, if you like what you see and if you want to apply the update on your Acro S, then you should first root its system. A beta software can be installed only on an unchained system that isn’t featuring the annoying factory restrictions. Just gain root access and then return here and resume the rest of the steps. Take note that with the root access the warranty will get void. If you will want to warranty back, just downgrade to the stock ROM, or apply an official update. By doing that you will be able to restore the factory restrictions and relock the bootloader.
Another operation that must be completed is related to flashing process. You cannot apply this tutorial unless your phone is installed with a custom recovery image. This tool is offering important features, so you must get it before heading to the below steps. Then, also you must backup the data of your Acro S. Each time you perform an operation like this one, the data stored on the internal storage memory will get corrupted. Therefore, backup the contacts, messages, call logs, internet saves, market apps and even the current ROM. You can learn how to do all these by checking our latest backup and restore guides.
Now, as promised, let’s talk about the pre requisites. Don’t skip this section as you can even brick your device if you do so. This is the last part that must be checked out before advancing to the installation procedure, so you are almost done. I have mentioned the things that must be completed in the list from below.
- Remember to backup the data.
- Also, root and install a custom recovery image on your phone.
- Then, ensure that you can use a computer, the Acro S and its USB cord.
- On the computer and phone deactivate the Firewall and antivirus protection. Also, uninstall any other security tool.
- On the smartphone enable the USB debugging option; go here and check the last option: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Check the battery status. If there is at least 70% power then you can skip this line; if not go and charge the battery first.
- Download the Acro S drivers from here and install them to your computer.
- Don’t apply this tutorial on similar devices with the Xperia Acro S as you can brick them.
How to Update Sony Xperia Acro S to CM 10 Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Custom ROM
- On your computer download the CM 10 file (download link here) and the Google Apps from here.
- Then, connect the phone with the PC.
- Use the USB cord for that.
- Select and then copy the downloaded files from the computer to the handset.
- Disconnect the Acro from the PC by removing the USB cord.
- Turn off the smartphone.
- Enter it in recovery.
- The recovery mode can be reached by pressing on the Volume Up button while powering the phone on.
- Once in recovery choose the wipe options: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then select “+++go back+++” and return to the main menu.
- Up next select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the CM 10 file and install it; then do the same for flashing the Google apps package.
- Don’t make any other changes in recovery.
- When the installation process ends, select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
That was all; you now know how to update the Sony Xperia Acro S to CM 10 Jelly Bean 4.1.1. Stay close as we will bring a suitable root tutorial for the new OS. Also, do tell us how things worked for you or if you have encountered issues during the steps from above. Test the ROM and see how it performs on your device. If there are bugs or things that aren’t working share the same with us and with other users by using the comments area from below.