Update Sony Xperia Play with Xperia NXT Gaming Custom ROM Firmware
The Sony Xperia Play is a relatively old smartphone, so its specs and features are a little bit out dated. Because of the same, the Play will no longer receive official Android updates, so if you will want to improve the performances or test the latest Android features available, then you will have to learn how to flash a custom ROM firmware. Luckily for you, here on Android.gs we have several tutorials suitable with your device; for checking the guides take a look over our “update Sony Xperia Play” section. Furthermore, use the present step by step guide for learning how to install the new Xperia NXT Gaming custom software on your Xperia Play.
The Xperia NXT Gaming ROM has been made available by those of xda-developers and the software is optimized and customized for gaming mode, meaning that you will be able to receive more power from your Xperia Play for enjoying your favorite and latest games that are being available on Google Play. After all, the Xperia Play is all about gaming characteristics, as we all know that the smartphone has PSP-like buttons. Therefore, if you are a game addict, the Xperia NXT Gaming Custom ROM will be perfect for you.
The firmware is based on the Gingerbread platform, so don’t expect to receive the ICS or Jelly Bean touch. Anyway, we are talking about a custom ROM so your phone will be installed with a custom version of Gingerbread that has its own looks, features (that cannot be found in the default version of the Android system) and apps. As mentioned this software is optimized and customized meaning that if you update your Xperia Play with the same your phone will gain speed, the battery life will be improved, the RAM memory used in a better way and a lot more. Anyway, you have the Xperia NXT Gaming features list detailed below, so check the same. Also, if you want to learn more about this custom ROM, then go here (this is our source page).
Be aware as you are about to flash a custom firmware and not an official release of the Gingerbread OS. Therefore, be careful in what you do and try not to mess things up; this tutorial is being considered risky meaning that you can even end up in bricking your Play. Now, for avoiding the unpleasant situations, before going any further take your time and complete the pre requisites from below.
- First, you need to have a rooted smartphone; if not go and root your Sony Xperia Play (you can choose a general root method or a guide suitable only with your handset).
- By rooting the warranty will get void; in case you are new to these types of operations, maybe it will be better to stop here.
- In case you will need the warranty back, then you can restore the same by downgrading to stock ROM; the, the root access will be revoked, the bootloader relocked and the factory restrictions re-installed.
- After gaining root access you need to install a custom recovery image, such as CWM recovery, on your Xperia Play. You will have to use the recovery image on the flashing process, so make sure you apply this step.
- The best will be to backup the Xperia Play data before starting the update operation. In order to succeed with this tutorial, a wipe will be required meaning that you will lose all of your personal info (text messages, call logs, market apps, contacts list and more included).
- If you have a rooted phone with CWM recovery installed, then you can also make a Nandroid backup for saving the current ROM; in case you don’t like the Xperia NXT Gaming firmware, then you will be able to easily restore the stock software.
- You will have to use a computer, your smartphone and its USB cord.
- On the computer and phone there shouldn’t be any security programs installed (deactivate the antivirus and Firewall protection).
- Enable the USB debugging option on your Play.
- Charge your handset if there is less than 60% power left; else you can skip this steps.
Now you can safely start updating your Sony Xperia Play with Xperia NXT Gaming Custom ROM Firmware. This tutorial is compatible only with the mentioned device, so don’t try to complete the next steps if you own a similar or different Android based smartphone.
How to Update Sony Xperia Play with Xperia NXT Gaming Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file from here.
- Download the Phone apps package from here.
- Save both files on your computer; don’t extract them.
- Now, connect the Xperia Play with your computer; use its USB cable.
- Select the downloaded files and place them to the root of your SD card.
- Remove the USB cable and turn off your device.
- Reboot into recovery mode.
- First of all, use the recovery mode menu for selecting: “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache” (complete the backup before applying this step).
- Return to the previous menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Now, from recovery select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Also, after installing the update, you need to flash the Phone apps package; therefore re-do the above step for applying the same.
- In the end, you need to select “+++go back+++”, “reboot system now” and you are done.
- In case you notice issues or if something wrong is happening (for example you are stuck in a boot loop) you need to reboot into recovery once more and perform the following “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
Congratulations, you have successfully updated your Sony Xperia Play with the Gingerbread based Xperia NXT Gaming Custom ROM Firmware. Do test the new software and return here for sharing your impressions with us and with other users who might be interested in following this step by step guide.