Update Sony Xperia Pro to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with Pacman Custom ROM
Those who own the Sony Xperia Pro and want to test and enjoy the new Android 4.1.2 OS are in luck as the Pacman custom ROM firmware has been released. This means that by applying this step by step guide you will be able to update your Xperia Pro to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 and receive the latest features and capabilities available for your smartphone. We are dealing with a custom ROM, so you must perform a manual method for installing the firmware; the OTA (Over the Air) variant being suitable only for the official updates.
But since there is no OTA release for your Pro, you will have to update it with the Jelly Bean based Pacman ROM. The software was developed by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this opportunity. Furthermore, the best thing about this new upgrade is related to the features that will be added to your phone. The ROM is being based on three different firmware: Paranoid, AOKP and CM10. Therefore, not only the Android 4.1.2 OS will be flashed on your Xperia Pro but also important capabilities from all the above mentioned platforms will be included in the system.
For taking a look over the main things that are working on this version of Pacman custom ROM you should check the image from below. If you like what you see, then you must follow the rest of the pre requisites. Only after that you will be able to safely apply the proper steps and install the Jelly Bean software. Be aware as if you somehow skip one of the next sections there are chances to end up in bricking your Pro handset.
As usual, when you have to update a phone with a custom ROM, you need to previously gain root access for the same. It’s important to do that task, or else you will not be able to complete the present tutorial. Also, you must be careful because once you start the root procedure the warranty of your smartphone will be void. If you damage the system, you will have to resolve the problem by yourselves, no one will help you out, at least not for free. Don’t worry though, as the warranty can be regained as soon as you downgrade to the stock ROM, or when you decide to update with an official OS provided by Sony and suitable with your Xperia Pro.
After gaining root access, another operation that you must complete before heading to the proper steps from this guide is installing a custom recovery image. You can get CWM recovery, which is one of the most used recovery tool for the Android system. We will be using this app for making a wipe of the system and for flashing the Jelly Bean Pacman custom ROM. Take note that CWM recovery can be installed only on a rooted device. Because I have mentioned something about a wipe, you should also perform a backup operation for ensuring that the data which is being saved on your phone’s internal storage memory won’t be erased. For completing a full backup and for applying the rest of the pre requisites just read and perform the next tips.
- The best way to start the backup is by saving the current ROM. In this way, if somehow something bad happens, you will be able to easily restore the stock firmware.
- Then, the contacts list should be important for you. Therefore for backing up the same you should learn how to sync with your Gmail account.
- Also, maybe you will want to save the text messages; for that you can download backup and restore apps for Android.
- The same can be done for backing up the call logs.
- Use a computer or SD card for saving other files like images or videos.
- For other backup tips and tutorials you can search through our how to section.
- You will have to use a computer; on the same and on your phone deactivate the security tools and the Firewall and antivirus protection.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your device.
- Charge the battery of your smartphone before starting the installation procedure.
- Remember to root and install a custom recovery image.
- Apply the next steps only if you own the Sony Xperia Pro handset.
How to Update Sony Xperia Pro to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with Pacman Custom ROM
- You should start by downloading the Android 4.1.2 Pacman update file from here.
- Of course, place the file on the computer.
- Connect the Xperia Pro with the PC via its USB cable.
- Take the downloaded file (copy-paste or drag and drop) from the PC and place it to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the handset from the computer by unplugging the USB cord.
- Turn off the device and reboot in recovery mode.
- From the recovery mode menu select “wipe data factory reset” and after that “wipe cache partition”; this is why you have to backup your data.
- When the wipe is over, return to recovery menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Up next, select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Take the update file from the SD card and flash the same.
- The installation procedure should take a couple of minutes.
- In the end just select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now” and you are done.
So, you are finally over with the installation operation. Now, your Sony Xperia Pro is running the latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS, as the Pacman custom ROM has been successfully flashed on your phone. You should test the firmware for making a proper opinion about the same. You can then return here for sharing your thoughts with us and with other users as well. Also, stay close for further step by step guides suitable for your Android based smartphone.