After the numerous beta and unofficial versions of the Ice Cream Sandwich OS updates leaked for the Xperia Ray, Sony decided to release the official Android 4.0.3 ICS firmware for the same handset. The software has just been made available and can be OTA (Over The Air) applied on any Xperia Ray devices. Well, almost any, as the update is available only for limited countries; but don’t be disappointed if you can’t receive the official firmware, as during the following I will be teaching you how to manually update the Sony Xperia Ray with official Android ICS 4.0.3.
The process is not hard to complete, but it will require your attention. It’s the manual method to apply an update, so you must make thing by yourselves, of course by following this step by step guide. You will have to download the update and flash the same on your phone. Also, there are some pre requisites that must be completed first, but we will talk about this a little bit later. Now, let’s see the other aspects you must consider before begging the tutorial.
Being the official version of the update and considering that it is coming straight from Sony, the warranty of your Xperia Ray will not be void. Furthermore, in case it gets void you will be able to reclaim it, as this is a Global release of the ICS firmware. So, you can safely apply the same on your device as nothing bad is going to happen.
Then, if you have a rooted Xperia Ray, after installing the firmware the root access will be revoked. That means you will have to gain it back but only by following a guide suitable for the new software. By the way, the official ICS update released for your Ray is dubbed 4.1.A.0.562. Now you know what version of OS you will need to root. Also, don’t apply this how to guide for handsets similar with the Xperia Ray as you can brick it by damaging or even wrecking its internal system.
Finally, as usual, for avoiding the unpleasant situations that might occur, you should backup all of the data stored on your smartphone. There are many ways in which you can save your personal info (by using a computer or the phone’s SD card) but in order to do it as it should I recommend you to use our tips:
- Download SMS backup and restore apps for Android.
- Download Call log backup and restore for Android.
- Sync contacts with your Gmail account.
- You can make a backup of your current ROM, just in case something bad happens and you can’t use the new ICS software. For this you must use the ClockWorkMod Recovery tool. Just follow our previous step by step guide for learning how to backup and restore your Android device by using ClockWorkMod Recovery.
As promised, here are the pre requisites; read the below line carefully and make sure you complete the tasks, or else the ICS update can’t be applied on your Xperia Ray.
- First, uninstall the Firewall and antivirus programs installed on your computer (you will need to use one) and on your phone.
- Check the battery status from your handset. If it shoes less than 60% power, go and charge the battery.
- Form the settings on your device you must enable the USB debugging option. If you don’t know how to do this just go to: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
As soon as you complete the up mentioned you can start the proper tutorial. Pay attention and do all as explained.
How to Update Sony Xperia Ray with Official Android ICS 4.0.3 Firmware
- Download Flash tool (it will help flashing the OS update on your phone) from here and place the same to your PC.
- Download the update for the program from here, save it to the same computer but rename it as “B”.
- Unzip “B” and place the files in the same folder as flashtool. Click “yes” if asked if you want to replace files.
- Run Flashtool.exe, go to the path “C:/ Drive -> flashtool -> firmwares” and just delete everything listed and then exit.
- Connect the smartphone with the computer by using its USB cord.
- On the PC download the ICS package from here.
- Unzip the same.
- Select the unzipped file and copy paste it to “C:/ > flashtool -> firmwares”.
- Go and run the flash too executable file; click on the “flashing icon” and select “flashmode”.
- On the right of the window you have a list; from there you should check the following: Wipe user data, wipe cache and no final verification check.
- After that, select “ok” for starting to apply the update on your Xperia Ray.
- In the end disconnect the handset from the computer and then reboot it.
- Be patience, it will take up to 10 minutes to reboot.
So, that’s it; now the Sony Xperia Ray is running the official Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware. Tell us if everything is working as it should, or if there are issues or bugs in the system. Also, if you had problems during the above procedure, share it with us (in the comments area) and we will try to resolve them.