This tutorial will teach you how to manually update your Sony Xperia S with the latest build of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware. Read the entire tutorial before starting to apply all the changes using SONY’s own PC companion software tool.
Android 4.1.2 6.1.A.2.55 Firmware update is an official release by SONY, and this tutorial might a little bit different than the others we’ve posted until now. This guide will work exclusively with a Xperia S device that runs on 100% stock firmware. So, you won’t be able to use this guide in order to upgrade any Xperia S model that runs a custom ROM or any other type of customization file.
This OTA Update brings the latest Sony Media service, the WALKMAN app along with Album app and Movies app. A new lock screen with tons of new functions and features. Customizable widgets, improved mobile data control consumption, the Recent Apps button for easier access to all the latest apps that you launched on your device.
Check your smartphone’s Build Number to see if the new update hasn’t already been installed on your device without you even knowing: Open Settings, then About Phone and then open the Build number / Version menu. If the model number is different from 6.1.A.2.55 then you have an older firmware.
Here’s what you need to know before starting the update:
- use this guide only with the Sony Xperia S.
- you need to have the Sony PC companion software installed on your device. Download links for those computers lacking Sony PC Companion tool: Windows Download Link here / Mac OS X Download link here.
- Make sure that there is enough power left in your phone’s battery before starting the update.
- a USB data cable.
- backup your most important data before starting the update.
- we cannot be held responsible in case you lose data or you brick the smartphone.
Now that you know all of the above, you can read the tutorial on how to install the 6.1.A.2.55 firmware update based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean for the SONY Xperia S:
- Launch the PC Companion software tool on your computer.
- Use the USB cable and connect the PC to your smartphone.
- Find the Update section and then follow all the on-screen instructions to complete the update.
- Wait for the device to reboot and after that you can disconnect the Xperia S from PC.
That’s it, these were all the steps that you had to read in order to learn how to flash an official SONY Jelly Bean update for devices that are already running 100% stock firmware.