Having a smartphone is all about testing and updating to custom ROMs as there is no other way that can be used for powering up and customizing the performances and the looks of your Android based handset. And thanks to those of xda-developers there are firmware and beta updates available for almost every phone available on the market. So, if you own the Sony Xperia T, model number LT30p or the Xperia TL, model number LT30at, you must try the new XperimenT software which brings important features and capabilities for your device.
The XperimenT custom ROM is based on the Android ICS 4.0.4 OS, but it will bring many features, apps, tools and capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the Android system. Therefore, by flashing the firmware on your Xperia T, or Xperia TL you will be able to install new Skyfall themes, 14 status bar toggles, reduced onscreen button sizes, the Mobile Bravia Engine 2 and a lot more. The ROM is also rooted, deodexed and bloatware removed so you will be able to gain speed, more power and an improved battery life.
All these are possible once the XperimenT ICS software is installed on your Sony Xperia T / Xperia TL, so for the proper step by step guide check the next lines. But first, if you want to learn more about this new update, go here and take a look over our source page. Remember that we are dealing with a custom ROM and not with an official OS, so a mmanual and complex update operation is being required; else you will not be able to flash the XperimenT platform on your Xperia T / TL.
Considering the above aspects, it must be clear for you that once you start to complete this operation, the warranty of your device will be void. Furthermore you have to prepare your smartphone for the installation process that will follow so you have a lot of things to take care of. In order to ease your work I have explained and detailed the pre requisites during the list from below. Read all the lines from this tutorial or else you will not be able to safely update the Sony Xperia T and Xperia TL with the ICS based XperimenT custom ROM firmware.
- Start with a backup as all of your data will be wiped out. It is recommended to save everything you need and also to apply a Nandroid backup because in this way if something wrong happens, you will be able to restore the stock ROM.
- Then, root your Xperia T and Xperia TL.
- The warranty will get void, so be careful in what you do; for restoring the warranty all you need to do is to downgrade your phone to the stock OS or to update it with an official software released by Sony.
- Install a custom recovery image on your device (CWM recovery is recommended); this tool will be used on the update process, so you can’t go any further without completing these steps.
- Make sure that you can use a Windows running computer with internet connection enabled; also ensure that your phone and its USB cord are near you.
- It is more than indicated to charge the battery of your device before starting the below steps.
- Also, enable the USB debugging option from your handset.
- On both computer and smartphone deactivate all the security options and programs, as these tools are usually interfering with the flashing procedure.
- And, don’t forget that this step by step guide is being suitable only with the Sony Xperia T model number LT30p and with the Xperia TL model number LT30at as the XperimenT custom ROM has been designed only for these devices.
Now, first of all you will have to update the firmware of your handset to 7.0.A.1.303. Only then you will be able to install the XperimenT software on your Xperia phone.
Update to 7.0.A.1.303
- Download Flashtool from here, or from here on your computer.
- Then, download the 7.0.A.1.303 firmware by using one of the following links: UK O2 branded from here; Generic LT30p firmware from here; Vodafone from here; T-Mobile Germany from here; Central Europe from here; T-Mobile Hungary from here.
- Up next, on your computer install flashtool by launching the “flashtool-0.9.10.1-windows.exe” executable file. Select “full install” and apply all the updates.
- Then drag and drop the “303.ftf file” for opening the flashtool window and follow the prompts.
- When you will be asked to enter flashmode complete the next tasks: turn off the phone, press the Volume Down button while connecting it with the computer, release the Volume Down button.
- Just follow the rest of the prompts for ending the operation.
How to Update Sony Xperia T LT30p and TL LT30at with XperimenT Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file from here for the phones with the looked bootloaders and from here for the phones with the unlocked bootloaders.
- Also, download the .223 Stock Kernel from here.
- Use this link and download the optional add-ons.
- Save the files on your computer.
- Connect the device with the computer via USB cord and copy paste the update file and the add-ons package from the PC to your phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off the handset and reboot into recovery mode.
- The recovery mode can be reached by pressing and holding on the Power and Volume Down buttons.
- From recovery first wipe the system by selecting “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “Wipe Dalvik Cache”.
- Return to the main menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- And then select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file and install the same.
- Do similar if you want to install something from the add-ons.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- On your computer drag and drop the LT30p_7.0.A.3.223_CE_kernel.ftf file into the flashtool window and follow the prompts.
- When asked to enter flashmode, just perform: turn off the device, press and hold the Volume Down button while connecting it with the computer, release the Volume Down button.
- Follow the prompts.
That was all for today; I know that there were a lot of things to take care of, but now you have finally completed the tutorial, meaning that your Sony Xperia T, or Xperia TL has been updated with the XperimenT Custom ROM Firmware. Just test the new software and see how it performs on your device. Do tell us how things worked for you and share your thoughts and impressions with us by using the comments area from below.