Codeworkx, the popular CyanogenMod devealoper, announced that an official Nightly Build of CM10 has been released for the Sony Xperia T and if you wish to install it on your smartphone, then you should follow all the instructions that I have listed in this post.
This is an easy to follow tutorial guide and in order to make sure that you install correctly the update, you will need to read the instructions that I have listed in the pre-requisites section of this post. There you will find info on which tools to use to backup applications, SMS and other files that are currently stored on your smartphone and multiple other tips and tricks that will help you flash the update at your first attempt without risking any data corruption.
This update was launched today and it seems like from now on, users of Xperia T will get these nightly builds on a ‘daily’ basis and, in case things go the right way, then the ‘CM M builds‘ will also be released for it monthly. There aren’t any extra news about this release but in case you wish to test the CM10 JB Nightlies then you should read the guidelines below and after you’re done with it, you can move to the last part of this post to learn how to manually flash this new ROM on your smartphone.
Here’s what you need to know before moving to the installation guide:
- The files in this post will work only with the Sony Xperia T smartphone and you shouldn’t attempt to flash them on any other Android smartphone, as that will probably brick all other devices.
- The Xperia T device you’re about to update should have its bootloader unlocked. If yours doesn’t then you should follow this link here and learn how to do it.
- Also, it should be rooted and the CWM Recovery image has to be installed on it.
- Create a full NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM using recovery mode, ROM Manager, ROM Toolbox Lite or any other Android app that is similar to these.
- If you want to backup a list of installed programs or the SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings, then please use these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Be advised that some of these tool will work only with rooted devices.
- In order not to lose your Contacts you should sync them with your Gmail Account.
- Charge your phone’s battery until its power levels go over 50%, that will prevent it from powering off while you’re flashing the update.
- Enable USB Debugging option from your device’s advanced or development settings.
- Do not attempt to flash the update in case you don’t know what you’re doing. This custom ROM should be installed only by advanced Android users.
- Do not blame us in case something goes wrong and you brick the smartphone in the process.
I think that these are all the instructions that you had to follow in order to correctly set up your smartphone so that you’ll backup all important files. Since you’ve read all of the above, I think that you can move to the next part of this post and learn how to properly flash this new custom CM10 build on your Sony device.
How to update the Sony Xperia T to Official CM10 Nightlies
- Download the CM10 JB custom firmware build from HERE. Make sure that you download the latest CM10 build. Save it on your PC and don’t extract the contents.
- Download the Gapps zip for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean from HERE. Make sure that you grab the Jelly Bean file and not the ones for Gingerbread or ICS. Save it on your computer. After you download this files, return to this post and continue with the next step.
- Connect your Xperia T to your PC using the USB cable. Move the CM10 ROM and Gapps zips on the phone’s internal SD card. Do not extract their contents.
- After the transfer is complete you should disconnect the phone from PC. Boot your device into custom recovery mode.
- To boot your Xperia T into CWM Recovery you will need to power it ON normally and when the ‘purple LED’ light is ON you should press Volume UP. This will help boot your device into custom recovery mode.
- When you’re at the first screen of CWM recovery, you should select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm its action.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM10 Nightly ROM zip and confirm its installation.
- After the ROM is installed you should select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then find the Gapps file. Install this one, too.
- When both the Gapps and the CyanogenMod 10 zips are successfully installed, you should return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for your phone to boot into normal mode. It shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes. If it does take more than that, then the update was not installed correctly, which is why you should power off the device completely and then repeat the entire tutorial once again. Eventually your smartphone will be updated and you will the Jelly Bean / CM10 welcoming screen.
- Enter your Google Account and restore all your apps and then begin to test this new ROM.
That’s it, now your phone should be running the latest CyanogenMod 10 Nightly Build ROM and you should simply start testing it. In case you don’t like this ROM, then you should restore the backup created before moving to the tutorial guide.
For any other questions, use the comments section below.