The Sony Xperia T has been launched several months ago and it has also received an unofficial build of CM10.1 ROM. It brings the latest Android 4.2.1 JB functions and features but, since it is an experimental build you might still find some errors and bugs. Read the entire tutorial and make sure that you don’t skip any steps listed here.
This is not a very stable release of CM 10.1 and you might find some errors while using it. Before installing this new ROM, you will need to read the preparation guide below. You will find all the extra steps that you have to take in order to make sure you install the unofficial CM 10.1 Android 4.2.1 ROM at your first attempt and, at the same, that you won’t lose any important files during the update.
Here’s what you need to know before starting the installation of the new CM 10.1 Jelly Bean 4.2.1 custom ROM on your Sony Xperia T:
- This is a tutorial that works only with the Sony Xperia T with the model number LT30p. This info can be found in the ‘About device’ menu in your Settings options.
- Install this update only on the Xperia T devices that are on unlocked bootloader, rooted and running CWM Recovery. All these guides can be found in this post HERE. If your device already meets these requirements, then you can skip this step.
- Create a full ROM backup of the ROM that’s currently installed on your device. This will act as a restore point for your device, which will be important in case you cannot use the phone after installing the new ROM.
- Create a list of installed apps, backup SMS, APN Internet Settings and the Call Logs using the following tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Some of these apps require root access and that means that you should grant them that.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail account. These can be then restored to your device by using the same Google Account to control your device. Note that these backing up steps of SMS and Contacts should be done because you will have to wipe data of the /system partition.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that the device won’t power off during the update process.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong and you’re the only one taking a risk.
- In case you have problems installing this new ROM, use the comments section to ask for more help.
Now that you know all of the above, move to the next part of this post and learn how to update your smartphone with a new Android OS custom ROM.
How to install unofficial CM 10.1 Jelly Bean 4.2.1 ROM on Sony Xperia T:
- Download the custom ROM CM 10.1 zip file from HERE.
- Download the Gapps zip from HERE. Get the file for CM 10.1 / Android 4.2.1.
- Next, connect your Xperia T to PC via USB cable. Move the files on its internal SD card and, after this is complete you can disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your smartphone.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode by pressing ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ buttons at the same time. Release the buttons when the update is complete.
- First thing that you need to do in ‘CWM Recovery’ is to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm this and then continue to the next step.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM10.1 Android 4.2.1 ROM zip and install it.
- When the ROM is successfully installed, select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ‘Gapps’ zip and confirm that you want to install it.
- After the Google Apps zip has been installed you should return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the first boot process to complete. This shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to boot.
- Enter your Google Account details and then take control over your device.
- Test the new ROM and tells us in comments if you find any bugs.
If you don’t like this new CM 10.1 based Android 4.2.1 ROM, use CWM recovery and the ROM backup file of the previously installed Android OS and restore it.
In case you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for more help in comments and we will try to come up with a solution to your problems. I think that these are all the steps and extra info you had to know. Now you can begin testing the new ROM. Tells us which new features impressed you the most while using it.