Update Sony Xperia U to Jelly Bean 4.1 with Experience Custom ROM
A new version of the Experience custom ROM (v2) have been released by those of xda-developers, so today we will be checking on how to manually install the same on your Sony Xperia U smartphone. The new Experience firmware is being based on latest variant of stock ICS, but brings all the Jelly Bean 4.1 features, looks, apps and capabilities, so you are about to update your Xperia U to custom Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS. Furthermore, the ROM is stable and fast so it might be a good idea to give it a try; if you want to do so, just check and apply the lines from below.
The Experience software is quite popular among Sony users, as the firmware has been made available for several Xperia Android based devices; also the users who have tried the ROM declared that there are no bugs or issues and that the system is stable, fast and powerful. By flashing the Jelly Bean 4.1 Experience custom ROM on your Xperia U, you will be able to install Android 4.1 features along with extra capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the Jelly Bean platform, which means that you will be enjoying an improved variant of the Android OS.
Also, the performances of your Xperia U will be improved as your phone will gain speed, the battery life will be upgraded, the internal system will be optimized and customized, new themes will be added, new options and apps will be installed and you will have access to the internal files and programs. Of course for being able to enjoy the mentioned capabilities you will have to root your handset first, but more about that a little bit later. Now, as already mentioned, the Experience firmware has been developed and released by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the present tutorial.
Furthermore, if you want to learn more about this update, then don’t hesitate and use the link from here, which will take you to our source page. After that, return here and resume the rest of the lines. Next, we will be checking on which the pre requisites are. Without preparing your Sony Xperia U, you will not be able to safely install the Jelly Bean Experience custom ROM firmware, so take your time and apply all the lines from below.
- You need to unlock the bootloader of your Xperia U.
- Then, you have to root your handset. Without performing these operations you will not be able to flash a custom ROM.
- Take note that by unlocking the bootloader and then by rooting you will void the warranty of your phone. If something goes wrong and you brick your smartphone, then you will be by yourselves; so try not to mess things up.
- The warranty can be restored by downgrading / updating to stock / official Android OS, or by performing a un-root and lock bootloader method.
- Up next you need to install a custom recovery image on your device. You can use our guide for learning how to flash CWM recovery on the Xperia U; be aware as the recovery image will be used on the update operation so you cannot go any further without completing this step.
- It is highly recommended to backup the Xperia U data before starting the update operation. A wipe of the system will be required, so all of your personal saves will be erased. Therefore, be careful and save everything you can, starting with the contacts, text messages, call logs, market apps, EFS folder and ending with the current ROM (by applying a Nandroid backup).
Now, those were the essential pre requisites. During the following lines I will explain you which are the general preparation tasks. After that you will be able to begin the update procedure, so we are almost done.
- You will have to use a computer or notebook where you will download the update file.
- Then, you will have to place the same file on your phone, meaning that the Xperia U and its USB cable should be near you.
- Usually the antivirus tool is interfering with the flashing operation; therefore first of all, uninstall or deactivate all the security programs that are running on your computer and smartphone.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your handset by heading to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- It is recommended to charge the battery of your device, especially if you notice that there is less than 60% power left; else your phone might get turned off while you are trying to apply the Jelly Bean 4.1 Experience custom ROM.
It is important to know that this step by step guide is compatible only with the factory unlocked versions of the Sony Xperia U devices. If you will try to update another handset with the Experience software by using this tutorial, you will risk in bricking your Android based smartphone.
How to Update Sony Xperia U to Jelly Bean 4.1 with Experience Custom ROM Firmware
- First and as already mentioned during the pre-requisites list, you have to download the update file on your computer.
- In order to do that, go here and download the Experience v2 file.
- Place the file on the desktop and don’t extract the same.
- Then, connect your phone with the computer by using its USB cable.
- Select the downloaded file and copy-paste it from your PC to your device.
- Remove the USB cord as we the computer is no longer needed.
- Turn off the Xperia U and boot into recovery mode.
- Then, by using the recovery mode menu select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to main menu: “+++go back+++”.
- From there now select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file from your phone and start the flashing process.
- When the installation procedure is over, from recovery select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- In case, in the end, your handset will get stuck in a boot loop, you will have to reboot into recovery mode once more and apply a wipe by selecting “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
That was all for today, so congratulations you have completed the step by step guide which means that now you know how to update your Sony Xperia U to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean by installing the Experience custom ROM firmware. You should test the new software for ensuring that everything is working as expected. Remember that the OS should be stable, without issues or bugs, so if you notice something that isn’t working properly share the same with us and with other users who might want to flash the Experience ROM on their Xperia U.