Update Sony Xperia X8 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with Unofficial CM10 Custom ROM
The Sony Xperia X8 users can now enjoy the latest version of the Android OS on their own devices as an unofficial port of the CM10 custom ROM has been made available for them. By flashing this firmware you will be able to update the Xperia X8 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 which is amazing considering that the phone is a low range one with poor specs and features. Actually, since the X8 was released way back in 2010, it will no longer receive official updates due to hardware limitation, so the CM10 software might be exactly what your Xperia X8 needs.
Now, if you do want to give it a try, this step by step guide is what you need; during the following lines we will be checking on how to easily update your Sony Xperia X8 with the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 based CM10 custom ROM. Anyway, this is a complex and risky operation, so be careful in what you do. Also, you must first prepare your device for the installation procedure, so you have to be patience as you do have to perform a few tasks. Because of that, read all the lines from below and also do not skip section from the same as you might end up in bricking your handset.
The present update has been developed by third party devs, so you cannot OTA install or receive the CM10 ROM. Furthermore, this is the unofficial port of the CM10 platform, which means that those of xda-developers have been working for changing and customizing the official release of the firmware in order to make it suitable with your Xperia X8. Now, you will not get all the CM10 features but you will still be able to improve the performances of your Sony Xperia X8 by gaining more speed, upgrading the battery life, add new apps and features, install a custom Jelly Bean 4.1.2 interface and a lot more.
You can learn more about the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean powered CM10 software on the page from here. There is our source page, so you can anytime access the same. Well, now we can finally start the proper tutorial. Of course we will begin with the pre requisites and only after that the update process will be explained and detailed. Remember that without completing the pre requisites you will not be able to safely apply the CM10 OS on your Sony Xperia X8.
- Backup the Xperia X8 data; start by saving the contacts, messages, call logs, internet settings, market apps and end with the current ROM. In this way, if you will want to restore the stock ROM, you will be able to easily perform a restoration procedure.
- Do not continue without completing the backup because you will have to wipe the system before installing the CM10 ROM, so all of your personal data which is being saved on your Xperia X8 will be erased.
- Then, proceed by rooting your device.
- Be aware as the warranty will get void.
- For restoring the warranty you will have to downgrade to stock ROM, or reset the flash counter.
- Up next, after gaining root access, install a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, on your phone; don’t skip this part as this app is the most important one.
- A Windows running computer must be near you; also, the handset and its USB cable will have to be used.
- For avoiding the unpleasant situations do the following: uninstall the antivirus programs from both computer and Xperia X8 and deactivate the security tools; charge the battery of your smartphone if there is less than 60% power left.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your phone.
- And finally apply this step by step guide only if you own the Sony Xperia X8; as mentioned the present Jelly Bean 4.1.2 based CM10 ROM has been developed only for the mentioned device, meaning that if you will try to flash the same on a similar handset you will brick your beloved Android powered smartphone.
How to Update Sony Xperia X8 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with Unofficial CM10 Custom ROM Firmware
- Use the link from here and download the Android 4.1.2 based CM10 file.
- On the same link you will find the Google Apps package, so download the same too.
- Save both files on the computer first.
- Then, use the USB cable and connect the Xperia X8 with the computer.
- Then, copy-paste the files on the phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord and turn off the device.
- You need to reboot it into recovery mode now.
- First we will use the recovery mode menu for performing a full wipe (remember to backup the data first).
- Now, do the wipe by selecting “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Select “+++go back+++” and then choose “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- You can pick the update file now; apply the same on your phone.
- Then, similar flash the Google Apps package too.
- When you are done, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now” and that’s it.
Do take note that the first boot might take longer than usual; also in case you will get a boot loop you will have to wipe the system (by using the recovery mode) once more. Also, if you don’t like the CM10 OS, then you can anytime restore the stock ROM (by using the recovery mode and only of you have previously made a Nandroid backup as recommended).
So, what do you say are you satisfied by the new software, or you rather go back and use the stock Android firmware on your phone? Now, your Sony Xperia X8 device should be running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean as the CM10 custom ROM has been successfully installed. Use the comments area for sharing your thoughts, or problems with us and we will shortly assist you for resolving the issues.