Update Sony Xperia Z with Android 4.3 JB based Avatar Custom ROM Firmware
Sony Xperia Z is one of the most powerful Android based handsets out there, the device bringing impressive specs and features. The phone is running on latest Android OS, Jelly Bean 4.3, but if you want to improve the software, then you will have to update your device with a custom ROM firmware. Fortunately for you, a new Android 4.3 based platform has been made available, as the Avatar team released the 4.0 build of Avatar ROM. So, during the present tutorial I will show you how to update your Xperia Z to Android 4.3 with Avatar custom ROM firmware.
This variant of Avatar custom ROM is based on the Nightly version of CM10.2, so features ported from the CyanogenMod system will be ported to your phone. Furthermore, Avatar 4.0 is stable, comes without bugs and issues and is smoothly running on the Sony Xperia Z. After flashing the Android 4.3 based Avatar firmware on your handset, you will be able to improve the performances, customize the looks, upgrade the battery life and bump the speeds of your smartphone. So, why are you waiting for? Use the following guidelines and test this new unofficial update on your Xperia Z.
It should be clear for you that this is not an official Android update; Avatar is a free aftermarket distribution of Android 4.3 so the same cannot by OTA received or applied. We are talking about a custom ROM which can be installed only on rooted devices that are running on a custom recovery image.
Therefore, before going any further, root your Xperia Z and then flash CWM recovery or any other recovery image on your phone. Without using a custom recovery image you will not be able to complete this step by step guide. Also, the custom recovery can be installed only on a rooted system, so first gain root access and only after that complete the rest of the guidelines explained here.
Do note that all the mentioned operations are unofficial ones; therefore after gaining root access the Xperia Z warranty will get void. Unfortunately this aspect can’t be avoided, though the warranty can be afterwards restored. For regaining the warranty you will have to downgrade your smartphone to stock Android OS, or to update it with an official release of the Android system.
Unfortunately on this guide a wipe will be required which means that all of your personal data, info and accounts that are saved on the internal storage memory of your Xperia Z will be erased. Therefore, it is more than recommended to backup text messages, call logs, internet settings, market apps, contacts list and everything else that’s important to you. Don’t worry because the backup operation can be easily completed as there are numerous backup and restore apps available on Google Play; also you can use CWM recovery for applying a Nandroid backup.
Perfect; now take a look over the list from below and ensure that all the pre requisites are being applied.
- A computer, your Xperia Z and its USB cable are being required, so you need to have access to the same.
- On both computer and smartphone there shouldn’t be installed any security tools; the security programs are usually interfering with the update operation, so deactivate it for avoiding the unpleasant situations.
- On your phone go to path “settings -> applications -> development -> USB debugging”. If the USB debugging option is not checked, enable it.
- Take a look over the battery status of your handset: if there is less than 60% power left, plug in the charger; else you can skip this step – if the Xperia Z gets turned off in the middle of the flashing procedure, your phone might get bricked.
- Apply this tutorial only if you own the Sony Xperia Z. The steps from below are compatible only with the mentioned handset so don’t flash Avatar Android 4.3 JB custom ROM on a similar or different device by using the present step by step guide.
How to Update Sony Xperia Z with Android 4.3 JB based Avatar Custom ROM Firmware
- On the computer you need to download the Avatar file and the Google Apps package.
- The Avatar update isn’t coming with Google Apps, so you will have to flash them separately.
- The Download link for Android 4.3 Avatar custom ROM is here.
- The Download link for Google Apps package is here.
- Don’t unzip the files just save them on your computer.
- You need to transfer the files on your phone’s SD card.
- So, connect your Xperia Z with the computer via USB cable.
- Copy-paste the downloaded files and then unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off your device.
- Next, reboot into recovery mode.
- First, wipe the system via recovery: select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Select “+++go back+++”.
- And now choose “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Select the update file and install the same on your phone.
- Repeat the same procedure and apply the Google Apps package.
- Finally, select “reboot system now” and you are done.
So there you have it; that was the how to method that must be used if you want to update your Sony Xperia Z to custom Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS. The Avatar 4.0 custom ROM firmware has been successfully installed on your smartphone, so share your experience and impressions with us and with other users that might want to follow this step by step guide.