The latest version (v5) of MIUI custom ROM firmware has been developed and released by those of xda-developers (we have them to thanks for this step by step guide), so during the following lines we will be checking on how to install the same on your Sony Xperia Z handset. MIUI is a highly customizable that can be used by those who want to experience a free and unlocked Android OS. By using MIUI v5 you will be able to customize and optimize your Xperia Z for powering up the performances, improving the battery life and bumping the speeds, so it seems that you have all the reasons for completing the present tutorial.
Unfortunately MIUI is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS, which might sound unappealing for most of you – the Android 4.3 firmware is out and already spreading on the devices that are being available on the market. Anyway, the software is stable, fast and comes with great features, apps and capabilities, so you might give it a try. Of course, if you will not like the MIUI v5 custom ROM, then I recommend you to use our “update Sony Xperia Z” section for choosing a more powerful software.
Because the MIUI system is a custom update that isn’t an official variant of the JB 4.2.2 OS, for being able to flash the ROM on your Xperia Z, the pre requisites from below must be applied. So, before going any further prepare your phone for the installation procedure that will shortly follow.
The first thing to begin is the root access. You need to gain root access on your Xperia Z and you also have to unlock the bootloader of your handset. Else, you will not be able to succeed with this operation. Then, after unlocking the system of your phone you will have to install a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, as the stock recovery can’t be used when dealing with unofficial operations. Finally, a backup is being required and recommended because a wipe will be applied. When wiping the system all of your data and personal info will be erased, so you can understand why the backup is previously needed.
When starting to root your Xperia Z, the warranty will get void. Losing the warranty can’t be avoided, but you can be careful for making things right. If something bad happens and you brick your smartphone, you will be by yourselves – try not to mess things up. Don’t panic though as the warranty can be restored; you just have to downgrade to stock Android OS, or update with an official Android system and the root access will be revoked, the bootloader relocked and the warranty restored.
After completing all these operations you need to take care of the general preparation tasks. The same are reffering to:
- A computer, which has to be near you – you will use the same for downloading the MIUI custom ROM.
- The Xperia Z and its USB cable which are being required.
- On both devices computer and handset uninstall or temporarily deactivate the antivirus protection, or any other security protection.
- Enable USB debugging option on your Xperia Z or else you will not be able to properly connect your phone with the computer.
- Charge the battery of your phone because if your device gets turned off in the middle of the update operation you will risk in bricking the same.
Good job. You are ready for installing the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based MIUI v5 custom ROM firmware on the Sony Xperia Z. Be sure to apply the next steps and the guidelines from above only for the mentioned smartphone because this step by step guide is being compatible only with the same.
How to Update Sony Xperia Z with JB 4.2.2 MIUI v5 Custom ROM Firmware
- The MIUI v5 firmware can be downloaded from here.
- Optional, the Google Apps package can be downloaded from here; the Google apps aren’t included in the update package so you need to manually flash the same.
- Place the files on the computer.
- Don’t unzip the files, just save them on desktop.
- Then, connect the Xperia Z with the computer via USB cable.
- Copy-paste or drag and drop the update file and the Google Apps package from the computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot into recovery mode.
- Use the recovery mode menu and select: “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Select “+++go back+++” and return to the main menu of recovery.
- Then, choose “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file and install the MIUI firmware.
- Wait while the installation procedure is running.
- Wait a few seconds and then return to recovery and repeat the flash procedure for applying the Google Apps package.
- In the end, from recovery select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- You are done.
Well done, our job is over. You have successfully completed this step by step guide which means that you have updated your Sony Xperia Z with the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based MIUI custom ROM firmware. Remember that this is the latest version of MIUI so you will be enjoying the latest features and apps, though there might be minor bugs and issues too. Do test the software and share your impressions and thoughts with us by using the comments area from below.