You can easily install any kind of update on your Sony Xperia Z2, as since we are talking about an Android smartphone, the update operation can be anytime performed by using a set of guidelines. These guidelines will be detailed during the following lines, where you will be able to learn how to update Sony Xperia Z2 with OTA release, manually with official / stock Android firmware, or with a custom ROM software. Therefore, if you want to find more info about these flashing operations, don’t hesitate and check the steps from this tutorial.
First we should talk about the OTA updates. Well, as you know, each time a new version of the Android system is being released, your Xperia Z2 will receive a notification which can be used for downloading and installing the proper update. This update might be a minor one – used only for removing some bugs or for improving some features – or a major one, especially when a new version of Android is being offered. Unfortunately the OTA is being provided by each carrier on different dates, while the same firmware is rolled out gradually and in limited markets only. Because of that, the official or stock Android OS can also be installed manually.
The manual update procedure for the Xperia Z2 is recommended for fixing your bricked Android device, for applying manually the OTA release of Android software, for revoking root access, for restoring the warranty of your Android device or for replacing a stock or buggy ROM with the stock firmware. So, manually updating your Sony Xperia Z2 with stock / official Android OS is quite important; the same operation can be performed on both rooted and unrooted devices and represents an official procedure, meaning that the warranty of your phone will not get void – as stated you can even restore the warranty in case it has been previously voided (usually when applying unofficial operations like gaining root access or unlocking the bootloader).
If we are to talk about custom ROMs, then you should know that the same can be updated on the Xperia Z2 especially if you want to improve the performances of your Android smartphone and if you want to customize and optimize your device. But flashing a custom ROM represents an unofficial update operation, so the warranty of your Z2 will get void while applying the installation procedure. Also, for being able to flash a custom update you will first have to root your Sony Xperia Z2 and install a custom recovery image on your smartphone.
For the manual update operations a computer will be required. On the computer you are using you need to turn off the security protection. Then you need to charge your device if its battery status is displaying less than 50% power left. USB debugging option must be enabled, so take your handset and go to menu – settings – developer options and ensure the same. Moreover, if you are thinking in updating with a custom ROM, before doing anything else, backup your data because a wipe will be required. Since your phone is rooted and installed with a custom ROM also make a Nandroid backup and save your current ROM.
The guidelines from below are compatible with the Sony Xperia Z2. Don’t use these steps for updating a similar or different Android device as you might end up in bricking your smartphone or tablet.
How to Update Sony Xperia Z2
Update using OTA – Over The Air update
- First of all, before applying anything else, ensure that you are using a WiFi connection.
- Then, take your phone and tap on menu.
- Head to settings and pick About Phone.
- Up next go to System Update and from there check to see if a new Android OS is being available for your Xperia Z2.
- If an update is available just download the same and wait while the firmware is being automatically installed on your phone.
Manually Install stock / official Android OS on Xperia Z2
- First of all get the Android OS update file for your Xperia Z2 and save the same on your computer.
- Next, download the flashtool program from here and install the tool on your computer by following the on screen prompts.
- You need to copy or transfer the .ftf update file on the flashtool folder under firmware.
- Right click on the .ftf firmware file and click “proprieties” followed by “unblock”.
- Plug in the USB cord and connect your Xperia Z2 (first turn off your phone and then press volume down button while establishing the connection) with your computer.
- Run flashtool and pick the firmware file.
- Then install the Android update on your Sony Xperia Z2.
Install custom ROMs on Xperia Z2
- Remember to root and install a custom recovery image on your phone.
- Next, download the ROM file on your computer and the Google Apps package if that’s necessarily.
- Transfer these files on your phone without unzipping anything.
- Turn off your phone and enter recovery mode on Xperia Z2.
- Then from recovery select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to recovery and select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the firmware file and install the same; do the same thing for flashing Google Apps package.
- In the end from recovery select “reboot system now” and you are done.
Perfect; that is how you can anytime update the Sony Xperia Z2. Use the comments filed from below for sharing your thoughts with us and with other Android users.