Finally, after we have learned how to root, and then how to install a custom recovery image on the Sony Xperia ZL, now thanks to those of xda-developers we can easily update the smartphone with a custom ROM firmware. Therefore, today we will be checking on how to install the CM10.1 and MIUI based Avatar Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom software on the Xperia ZL. All the info related to the flashing operation is being explained below, so if you want to test the Avatar platform check the same.
The Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean powered Avatar system is a free aftermarket distribution of the Android OS, so you will not update your Sony Xperia ZL with an official firmware. Also and as already mentioned, the ROM has been developed and released by the xda-developers team, so we can explain this tutorial only because of them. The present step by step guide represents an unofficial update operation which means that you must be careful in what you perform as bad things can happen (if you mess things up then you can end up in bricking your phone).
As you will see below, for being able to install the Avatar software on the Xperia ZL, there must be applied some extra procedures that will wipe the system of your handset. That’s why it is extremely important for you to backup your data first. By completing a backup you can easily store your text messages, contacts list, market apps, call logs and everything else you might need afterwards – if you don’t know how to apply the backup use our search engine and look for suitable backup and restore step by step guides.
The Avatar platform is a mixed system that combines the CM10.1 and MIUI ROMs. That means you will get the beautiful MIUI themes on a Cyanogen base. Furthermore all the CM10.1 and MIUI features and apps will be included on the Avatar firmware along with many extra ones, so by flashing the software on your Xperia ZL you will be able to improve the performances (optimize the RAM memory, improve the battery life, have access to the insternal system of your phone and more), change the looks and upgrade the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean experience. The best is that Avatar is based on the latest version of the Android OS, the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM, so the same will be installed on your ZL.
According to those who have already installed the Avatar OS on the Sony Xperia ZL, the ROM is stable and comes without any bugs or issues. Anyway, in case you want to check and learn more about the present update, go here. Then return to this tutorial and apply the pre requisites from below.
- Remember to backup the data; if possible make a Nandroid backup too.
- Your Xperia ZL must be rooted and installed with a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery.
- By completing this tutorial (also by rooting) the warranty of your device will get void.
- The warranty can be restored by downgrading to stock ROM, or by updating to an official release of the Jelly Bean OS, released by Sony and suitable with your Xperia ZL.
- You need to use a computer or notebook along with your smartphone and with its USB cable.
- There shouldn’t be installed or running any security tools on the computer and handset because these programs will interfere with the update operation; so deactivate the security programs before going any further.
- You need to enable the USB debugging option on your ZL.
- Also, you need to charge your device, especially if there is less than 60% power left; else your phone might get turned off while you are trying to flash the CM10.1 and MIUI powered Avatar Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM.
This step by step guide has been developed to work only for the Sony Xperia ZL; don’t try to install the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based Avatar custom ROM on a different or similar handset because this tutorial is compatible only with the mentioned smartphone; if you mess things up then you will brick your Xperia ZL.
How to Update Sony Xperia ZL to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with Avatar Custom ROM Firmware
- On your computer you need to download the required files.
- From here download the update file and from here download the Google Apps package.
- Then, connect your phone with the computer by using the USB cord.
- Now, you need to copy the downloaded files on your device.
- Then, you can safely disconnect the Xperia ZL from the computer.
- Turn off your phone as you need to boot into recovery mode.
- After reaching the recovery mode, use the menu that opens for selecting “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”; remember to backup the data first.
- Select “+++go back+++” and return to the main menu.
- From there now select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Select the firmware file and flash the same.
- Then, repeat the procedure and install the Google Apps package.
- In the end you need to select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now” and you are done.
- In case you will get stuck in a boot loop, reboot into recovery and wipe the system once more; this should resolve the problems.
That was all; congratulations as you have successfully updated your Sony Xperia ZL with the Avatar custom ROM firmware. Remember that the software is based on both CM10.1 and MIUI platforms so you will be enjoying a powerful custom Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. Now, test the new ROM and share your impressions and thoughts with us and of course with those who are looking in applying this step by step guide.