The Sony Xperia ZL users are having all the reasons for getting excited as more and more custom ROMs are being developed and offered for their devices. So, if you want to change, or improve, the default version of the Jelly Bean OS, now you can easily do so as you can anytime learn how to flash a custom version of the Android 4.1 OS on your phone. Today we will be checking on how to update the Xperia ZL with the RomAur custom ROM, the software being based on stock Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware.
But before going any further you might want to check the other updates that are being available for your Xperia ZL, the CM10.1 and Avatar platforms, which are being powered by the Android 4.2.2 system. So, do check the same before deciding in which firmware to flash on your smartphone. If RomAur is your choice, then follow and read the lines from below for learning on how to apply this Jelly Bean 4.1.2 custom ROM on your phone. The tutorial is not hard to complete, but you do have to be careful as we are dealing with a complex and risky operation that might brick your handset (if you are performing things without consulting the steps from below).
Now, as already stated the RomAur software is based on stock Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS. Furthermore, the firmware will bring a custom version of the Android system so you won’t get the default looks and features as extra ones will be installed on your Sony Xperia ZL. In a few words, here is what you need to know about the RomAur platform: the OS is deodexed, Zipaligned, installed with Busybox, pre-rooted, customized and optimized for providing better performances, faster web browsing experience, improved Android experience and an upgraded battery life.
Furthermore, the ROM is stable, without bugs or reported issues. As usual, the firmware is being provided by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this tutorial. Anyway, for being able to properly update your Xperia ZL with the RomAur Jelly Bean 4.1.2 custom software you will have to prepare your phone first. Because of that, you need to complete and read the list from below, where I have mentioned the pre requisites.
- The warranty of your device will get void because you need to have a rooted smartphone installed with a custom recovery image.
- The custom ROM will have to access and modify some internal files from your handset, so gaining root access is a must have.
- Then, you will not be able to flash the firmware by using the stock recovery, meaning that you have to flash a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery.
- So, the warranty will get void; you can restore the same by downgrading to stock ROM, or by updating with an official Android OS, but the root access will be revoked and the default version of the Android system will be re-installed on your Sony Xperia ZL.
- It’s more than recommended to backup the Xperia ZL data because a wipe will be required (you will have to wipe the system before flashing the RomAur Jelly Bean 4.1.2 custom ROM).
- It’s also recommended to make a Nandroid backup for saving the current OS. In this way, if you don’t like the new software, you can easily restore the stock firmware.
- You need to access and use a computer or notebook; your phone and its USB cable will also be needed.
- On your handset enable the USB debugging option and also charge the battery of your device (if there is less than 60% power left) for avoiding the unpleasant situations.
- On both notebook and smartphone first uninstall the antivirus and any other security tools because these programs are usually interfering with the update operation.
A final note before the update process: this step by step guide has been developed only for the Sony Xperia ZL, so don’t use the next steps for installing the RomAur firmware on a different Android based smartphone or tablet because you can end up in bricking your device.
How to Update Sony Xperia ZL with RomAur Firmware (Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Custom ROM)
- Download the update file from here.
- Save the file on your computer.
- Then connect your handset with the PC (use the USB cord in order to establish the connection).
- Copy-paste or drag and drop the firmware file from the computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off the Xperia ZL and reboot into recovery mode.
- Then, by using the recovery mode menu, first of all wipe the system of your device.
- For a full wile choose “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”.
- Return by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- And choose “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- You need to pick the firmware file now.
- Flash the same on your phone.
- The installation procedure will take a couple of minutes; don’t press anything just wait until the process ends.
- Finally, in the end, select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now” as you are done.
Good job; you have successfully updated your Sony Xperia ZL with the RomAur Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware. Do tell us how things worked for you or if you had encountered any kind of issues on your way. Also, test the software and share your impressions with us by using the comments area from below. In this way you can also communicate with those who are looking forward in suing this step by step guide for updating their Xperia ZL smartphones.