As you know, in theory, if you own a Nexus devices you should be enjoying the latest and pure Android experience (by receiving and installing the official updates) before the other handsets does. But, that isn’t applying when talking about carrier branded smartphones and tablets. So, if we are to talk about the Sprint and Verizon Galaxy Nexus phones we sure have to mention that the official OTA Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update is still nowhere to find, though the unlocked version of the device had received the software two months ago.
Furthermore, the exact release date of the Jelly Bean 4.2.1 firmware isn’t yet known and of course the ROM will not be provided at the same time as each carrier (Verizon and Sprint in our case) is developing its own version of the Android system. That’s why if you own the Sprint or the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus you will still have to wait for the official Android 4.2.1 OTA update.
But, if you want to install the update now, without waiting for the OTA variant, I bring you something that will cheer you up. The official Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus model number L700 has been leaked, so during the next few lines I will show you how to manually flash the same on your handset. Unfortunately, the ROM can’t be updated on the Verizon model, but maybe a suitable OS will also be leaked soon.
Anyway, in order to conclude, here is what we will do today: first we will talk about the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update and its features that will be installed on the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus; then I will show you how to prepare the handset and how to make sure that everything will go as planned, or else you will not be able to safely install the official 4.2.1 software on your Nexus L700; finally you will be able to follow and complete a few steps that will take you through the flashing process.
So, the leaked Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean OS has the built number of JOP40D.L700GA02 and will bring the pure and latest Android experience to your Galaxy Nexus. Remember that even though this is not the OTA release, we are still dealing with the official update that can be only manually applied on your smartphone. The software is including the lockscreen widgets, redesigned clock with stopwatch and timer functionality, settings toggles in the status bar, performance improvements, Gesture Typing keyboard and updated Google Now, these being the main features that will be added to your Nexus.
In order to succeed with this operation you will have to use Odin; this is a complex app designed and used especially for these types of tasks so you have nothing to worry about. But, since we will manually install the official Jelly Bean 4.2.1 update on your Sprint Galaxy Nexus, you still need to previously prepare your handset; for that check the following list.
- First of all backup the Nexus data. It is unlikely to lose your personal info but when it comes to your recent saves you can never be to sure. Therefore, take your time and complete a full backup; in order to ease your work you can use our backup and restore guides for learning how to save the contacts, messages, EFS, call logs and more.
- You don’t have to own a rooted device for being able to apply this tutorial. Furthermore, if your handset is rooted, after completing this step by step guide the root access will be revoked.
- So, the warranty will not be void; actually if your Nexus is currently running a custom ROM firmware, by applying the official Android 4.2.1 update you will be able to restore the warranty.
- You will have to use a Windows running computer, the phone and its USB cord.
- Install the proper drivers on the computer by downloading and installing KIES on the same.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your phone.
- Charge the battery of your Nexus; else the handset might get turned off in the middle of the update operation.
- Uninstall the security tools that are running on both computer and smartphone; these programs are usually interfering with the installation procedure.
- Remember that this tutorial can only be applied for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus model number L700; performing the next steps for a similar handset will brick your device.
How to Manually Update Sprint Galaxy Nexus L700 with Leaked Official Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean OS
- Remember to install the drivers for the phone on your computer; you can downalod the same from here.
- Then, on the same computer download the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update from here.
- Extract the file so that you can obtain a file named CODE_I9250XXSPH-L700GA02.tar.md5 .
- On the computer download and install Odin.
- Next, open Odin.
- Turn off the handset and enter the same in download mode.
- The download mode can be reached by pressing the Volume Down button while powering on the phone.
- Connect your smartphone with the computer by using the USB cable.
- Once you do that on Odin the “added” message should be displayed.
- Also, the ID:COM section should be yellow.
- If not, try to reinstall the drivers and then repeat the above steps.
- From Odin now select “PDA” and pick the update file you have downloaded before.
- Don’t make any other changes on Odin (the Re-Partition check box must be unchecked).
- Click on “Start” and wait for the process to do its job.
- In the end on Odin the “pass” message should be displayed.
- Also, the device will reboot on its own, meaning that you can unplug the USB cable.
Well, that was all. On your Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean OS should be running. Remember that this is only the leaked version of the official release so you can’t OTA or by using KIES install the same. Anyway, the official release of the firmware should also be coming soon and I am talking about the Sprint and also about the Verizon one. But until then, maybe you will want to complete the above explained tutorial. So, do tell us how things worked for you and share your thoughts with us by using the comments area from below.