How to Update Sprint Galaxy S3 L710 to Jelly Bean with CM10 Custom ROM
I have great news for the Sprint users of the Samsung Galaxy S3 as the latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean flavor has finally arrive for their smartphones. The update isn’t the official one though, as we will be checking in how to install the CyanogenMod 10 custom ROM on your SGS3 model number SPH-L710. The full step by step guide is presented below, so for learning how to safely complete this operation read the same. Be aware that by skipping parts from this tutorial you can brick your device, so take your time and be patience.
The CM10 ROM is in the last stage of development, so the firmware wasn’t yet officially released. By this you must understand that it will be hard to daily use the OS, this version being more suitable for those who want to test and improve the same. There are several features and things that aren’t working, so if you want to remove the old ROM with this one, maybe it will be a good idea to change your mind. It’s true that the CM team will soon release the update but until then you will have an OS that partially works.
Being a custom ROM, for being able to install CM10 on your Sprint SGS3, you will first have to gain root access for your device. And by doing this you will void the warranty. You cannot reclaim it if somehow something goes bad and you brick the phone. The only way in which you can restore the warranty is by downgrading to the stock ROM or by applying an official update provided by Samsung. Therefore, if you are new to these types of operations I recommend you to ask for somehow to help you, at least for your first experience.
This variant of CyanogenMod 10, that suits the Sprint Galaxy S3 SPH-L710, was developed and tested by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this tutorial. According to them the features and the bug fixes that come with the preview version of CM10 are the ones from below. Check the list and ensure that you are making the best decision. If you think that you can’t handle this ROM don’t apply the guide as there are many updates available for the S3 (search through our how to section for suitable methods).
Before commencing with the steps, I need to tell you that during the installation process a wipe of the system will be required. The data will get corrupted and you will no longer be able to use it. Therefore, first of all, backup your personal info. You can save almost everything from your phone from SMS, MMS, or any other text messages, call logs, internet saves, market apps, contacts, calendar info to images, videos and even the current ROM (this will be useful especially if you will want to previously restore it).
As soon as you backup the data, you can take care of other things which are more important: the pre requisites. Without these you will not be able to apply the CM10 ROM. Also, you can brick your SGS3, so don’t skip this section.
- Complete the backup and then root the system.
- Install a custom recovery image on it.
- Then, make sure you have a computer near you as well as the phone and its USB cable.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your handset: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Charge your smartphone so it can stay alive during the process (or at least make sure there is minimum 60% power left).
That is all with the introduction. You can now safely proceed and complete the proper steps. Be careful and do as explained or else you can mess things up.
How to Update Sprint Galaxy S3 to Jelly Bean with CyanogenMod 10 Custom ROM Firmware
- The first thing to do is to download the CM10 file.
- The download link is here.
- Then, do the same for the Google Apps; the download link is here.
- Save these files to the computer.
- Take the USB cable and use it for connecting the Galaxy S3 with the PC.
- Next, select both files downloaded before.
- Copy, and then paste them, from the PC to your handset (remember where).
- You can safely remove the USB cable now.
- Turn off the smartphone.
- You need to enter in recovery mode.
- For this reboot and while rebooting press and hold the Volume Up Key and Center button.
- A full wipe is required (this is why you need to backup the data).
- For completing the wipe, from recovery choose: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, select “+++go back+++”.
- You should now be back on the recovery mode menu.
- From here, select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- You can now pick the update file (first) and the Google apps (afterwards) and install the same on your SGS3.
- When the installation procedure is over select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
Well, that was all for now. That was the easiest way to follow for learning how to update the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS by installing the CyanogenMod 10 Custom ROM Firmware into its system. Remember that this is the preview version of CM10 so there are several bugs and features that doesn’t work. Don’t worry though as we will prompt you with a new step by step guide as soon as a new ROM will be released or leaked.