Update Sprint Galaxy S3 SPH L710 with Jelly Bean Leak Custom ROM
The Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 users have all the reasons for getting excited as a new custom update has been made available for their smartphones. Unfortunately, there are only a few upgrades available for the SPH L710 version of the S3 (CM10 being the most important one), so this firmware is well-received by all of us. Therefore, even though there is no news about a possible official Android 4.1 OS improvement for the Sprint SGS3, we will be checking in how to update to Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware, all being possible by completing the following step by step guide.
The present software was developed and tested by those of xda-developers and according to them, by installing the Jelly Bean ROM on your Sprint Galaxy S3 SPH L710 you will be able to resolve the recently reported touchwiz issues. Furthermore, the issues related to low Battery Life on this modem has been fixed and the issues related to WiFi has been sorted out, meaning that you will be getting an improved and more stable version of the Android 4.1 platform. Now, if you want to apply the update, you will have to follow and complete a manual method as this firmware can’t be OTA installed.
As you are dealing with a custom ROM, before flashing the same to your SGS3, you will first have to prepare your phone. In this way you can ensure that the Jelly Bean based software will work as it should and that your handset will be in safe hands. And the first to start with is the backup. As recommended, each time you decide to change or apply something on your device, it is a good idea to backup its data first. The same must be performed when it comes to an update procedure, so use our backup tips and guides and store your personal info (contacts, messages, call logs, and so on).
Then, for being able to update to Jelly Bean, your Sprint SGS3 must be rooted and installed with a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery. The root access can be achieved easily, but the warranty will get void, so be careful in what you do. The CWM recovery will be used for flashing the update file from the SD cart to the internal system of your handset. As mentioned, the warranty will get void, but if you will want it back, you will have to downgrade to the stock ROM, or just wait for applying an official firmware released by Samsung especially for your SPH L710 smartphone.
Up next, we have the general pre requisites. So, for being able to download the update file you will have to use a computer with internet connection enabled. On the PC and on your handset there shouldn’t be any security programs installed; if different deactivate them. Also, your phone must have enough battery life for being sure that it doesn’t get turned off in the middle of the operation. And the USB debugging option must be enabled on your SGS3 (“Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”).
Finally you must be sure that you are applying the below steps only for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 model number SPH L710 and not for similar versions of the S3. I recommend you to go to “Settings -> About phone” and see which version number your phone has. Then, you can safely go and start the installation procedure on your phone.
How to Update Galaxy S3 SPH L710 with jelly Bean Leak Custom ROM
- On the computer, download the firmware package.
- See the download link from here.
- Then, connect the S3 with the PC by using its USB cable.
- Copy or just drag and drop the downloaded file from your computer to the phone SD card.
- Now, you can unplug the USB cord as you should disconnect the handset from the PC.
- Reboot the S3 and enter the same in recovery mode.
- Your phone can be entered in recovery mode by pressing on the Volume Up rocker key while pressing on the Power button.
- Be aware as you must enter in recovery or else you cannot apply the update.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” (now the data will be wiped out meaning that if the backup wasn’t performed you will lose all of your personal info).
- Return to recovery: “+++go back+++”.
- Select from the recovery menu “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the file from the SD card.
- Install the same.
- In the end, just select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulation, your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH L710 is now running the Jelly Bean custom ROM. Test it and see how it performs; also do tell us how you find the new OS and if you like it or not. Hopefully, we will bring more updates tutorials suitable for your Sprint SGS3, so stay close. Until then, check our daily posts and do tell us if you need some help with your Android powered device and we will do our best in order to help you out.