Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE was launched several days ago and there already has been created working rooting guide and we knew that it would only be just a matter of time until some guy at xda would manage to create a working custom ROM. All the info that you need is listed in this article but you should note that the tutorial guide should be applied only by advanced Android users.
The custom ROM is called ViperROM Elite and it has been created by the ViperROM Team. Installing this new ROM will improve the battery life and enhance the overall performances so that you will enjoy your experience while using your brand new Android HTC EVO 4G LTE on Sprint carrier. This new custom ROM will come with OC Daemon and viperControl features that will eventually remove all bloatware and app management by Sprint.
ViperROM Elite is supposed to be the first custom ROM for the HTC EVO 4G LTE and you can learn how to install it by reading the preparation and tutorial guides, both listed several lines below. Now that you know all this extra info then you are free to move to the preparation guide and learn how to correctly install the custom ROM. Your device has to be rooted and TWRP Recovery image should be present on it. You’ll learn more about this by reading the preparation guide.
Please note that we cannot be held responsible if something goes wrong and your device gets bricked or something else happens while updating the firmware. Here’s what you need to do:
- Your HTC EVO 4G LTE Sprint should have its bootloader unlocked. Follow this link here to get to the unlock process.
- TWRP Recovery image should be installed, if your device doesn’t have it then follow this guide and learn how to do it.
- Without the above requirements being met you won’t be able to install the new ROM. Make sure that you device is S-OFF, unlocked and that TWRP REcovery is installed.
- During the ROM installation you will be asked to wipe data and to perform a factory reset, which means that you need to backup your applications, sms and call logs info. All these can be easily backed up using these three Android applications: AppBak for saving and restoring Android apps | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore.
- Save your Phone Contacts by syncing them with your Gmail account. If you don’t know how to do it, then please you should read the guide on ‘how-to sync Contacts on Android with Gmail’.
- After the ViperROM Elite is installed, your internet settings might be messed up and that’s why you should backed them up using the APN Backup & Restore application.
- enable USB Debugging and make sure to charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t switch off while you’re applying the new Android ICS ROM.
- it is also recommended that you perform a full backup of your current ROM. You’ll learn how to do it when you reach the tutorial guide.
That all the info that you had to know before moving to the tutorial guide. You can now start installing the custom ROM but make sure to read the entire tutorial and do not skip any of the steps listed under it, that will result in an unsuccessful attempt to improve your phone’s performances.
The ViperROM Elite for HTC EVO 4G LTE Sprint might pack some bugs and errors, and you’re free to share them with us in comments. Remember that we cannot be held responsible if something goes wrong and the device gets bricked. The instructions listed in this article should only be applied by advanced HTC Android users. That’s all, now you can start the updating process.
How to update Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE to ViperROM Elite ICS ROM:
- Download the ROM zip package v1 from here. Save it on your PC without extracting its contents.
- Move it on your phone’s internal / external sd card. Remember where you’ve placed it, as this is the file you will need to flash.
- Open Settings on your phone, then Power and find ‘fastboot’ option. Uncheck it.
- Now you can power off the your EVO 4G LTE. Leave it that way as you will need to put it into TWRP Recovery.
- To enter TWRP Recovery you will have to press and hold ‘volume down’ and ‘power buttons’ until you see the bootloader menu.
- Select ‘Recovery’.
- Now create a full backup of your current ROM by selecting the ‘backup’ option. This action is optional and it might prove to be useful if you don’t like the new custom ROM.
- Now, you need to wipe cache, dalvik cache and then select ‘wipe data/factory reset’. Confirm and complete all these actions.
- Tap the ‘Install’ line and point the recovery to where you’ve place the ROM zip file; the one you moved on your devices’ internal / external sdcard’.
- Confirm the installation of the new ViperROM Elite Android ICS firmware and then wait for it to complete.
- Reboot the device and you’re done.
That should do it, your Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE is now running on the first custom ROM specially designed for it. Now, there is still an optional step that you might want to apply. That is the incremental update file that you should flash it in the same way you did with the original ROM file.
Download the ViperROM Elite v1.1 from here. Use it to update your current ROM. Please note that this is only an incremental update for ‘viperrom elite’ original ROM and it will work only if applied over it.
That’s it, now you’re ready to use the new custom ROM and start enhancing its features and functions so that you will get the maximum performance out of your HTC EVO 4G LTE. If you have any problems or you cannot complete this installation then you should ask for our help by posting in comments. Also, if you have any tips and tricks about HTC or other Android devices, use the same method; post in comments and we will acknowledge your contribution.
If you found this guide by mistake instead of finding other HTC EVO 4G LTE guide, then you should use the menu above this article and navigate to other parts of your website and I’m sure that you’ll find some other guide to help you enhance your smartphone.