The Slim Bean ROM is a somewhat popular installation for Android phone and tablet devices. This post contains instructions on how to successfully flash a test preview build of Slim Bean custom ROM that is based on Android 4.1.1 on the Sprint version of HTC EVO 4G smartphone. Read the entire tutorial and you will learn how to successfully flash all the necessary files and get this new ROM on your device.
Slim Bean test build for EVO 4G Sprint has been created by 88exp88, an XDA Senior Member. This custom ROM is known for being small and lightweight. Currently it is in its beta stage and, at the moment, the 4G, FFC, Netflix and Camera aren’t working. If you want to install this ROM on your phone, you should first create a backup of the existing ROM. Also, note that this preview build of Slim Bean cannot be used as a daily ROM and you should only install it for testing purposes in order to get accustomed to the Jelly Bean 4.1 OS functions and features.
Now that you know all this, you can move to the preparation guide. Here’s what you need to know:
- Install the Slim Bean custom ROM only on the Sprint HTC EVO 4G. Do not attempt to flash it on the EVO 4G LTE variant as it won’t work and you might end up bricking that particular device.
- The bootloader of your HTC EVO 4G should be unlocked and S-OFF.
- Your phone should be rooted and the ClockworkMod Recovery image has to be installed on it. If your device meets these requirements you can move to the next step.
- It is highly recommended for you to create a full Nandroid backup of the currently installed EVO 4G ROM. This will prove to be very useful in case you regret installing Slim Bean preview build ROM, as you will be able to restore that one if you don’t like how this new installation works for your device.
- Move all important data files on your phone’s internal sdcard, as this part will be left unchanged by the update.
- You can save a list of the apps, you can backup SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings using the following Android tools: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync your Phone Contacts with the Gmail account assigned to your device.
- Remember to fully charge the phone’s battery so that this won’t drain during the installation of Slim Bean ROM.
- Enable USB debugging option from the phone’s Settings menu.
- This custom ROM should be installed only by advanced Android users. Use it only for testing purposes and not as a daily OS.
- We cannot be blamed in case your device gets bricked during the installation of the new ROM.
- Make sure that you read all the tutorial steps before starting to apply them. For any extra questions please use the comments field.
I think that these are all the guidelines you had to read before moving to the tutorial. Now you’re free to move to the how-to guide and learn how to successfully flash a brand new custom Jelly Bean ROM on your smartphone.
How to update Sprint HTC EVO 4G using Slim Bean Experimental build ROM
- Download the following SlimBean custom ROM zip files: ROM test build from HERE | Common_2.x.zip from HERE.
- Connect your phone with the computer using USB cable. Now move both files downloaded at step 1 on your phone’s internal SDcard.
- After the transfer is complete you should disconnect the phone from your PC. Power OFF the HTC EVO 4G.
- Boot it into recovery mode. It can be done by pressing and holding ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ buttons until the phone loads the ‘recovery’ screen or the HBOOT menu. In case HBOOT is loaded, press Volume down to highlight the RECOVERY option and then press ‘power’ to boot into recovery mode.
- When you’re in recovery you can create a full backup of the installed ROM by using the ‘backup and restore’ option. In case you already created a full backup, then you can move to the next step and skip this one.
- Select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and then confirm. When the data is successfully deleted you should move to the next step.
- Select ‘install zip from SD card’ and from the next menu select ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’. Find the ‘ROM zip file’ and install it.
- When the ROM file is successfully flashed you should select once again ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’ and select ‘common_2.zip’ file for installation.
- After you’ve installed both files you will have to return to the main custom recovery screen. Select ‘reboot system’ option.
- Now your HTC EVO 4G Sprint will boot for the first time with this new ROM and this process shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.
- When all necessary files are loaded you can enter your Google account credentials and then take control over all your phone’s functions.
These were all the steps that you had to take. In case you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for my help in comments and I will try to help you finish the tutorial with success.
I hope that you found this guide helpful and after you’re done testing the Slim Bean preview build for Evo 4G you should tell us in comments if you found other bugs or errors. I think that these are all the instructions that I had for you and now you should click the device’s name under the post’s featured picture to find other tutorials that will help you improve the performance of your HTC EVO 4G Sprint.