Update Sprint Nexus S 4G SPH-D720 to Official AOKP JB build 3 custom ROM
The Nexus S 4G has just received a brand new update from AOKP and you can use this post to install the latest Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean AOKP custom ROM. Use this entire post and firstly, read the entire guide and only when you’re sure that you know what you’re doing, you should proceed to installing this new update.
The AOKP JB build 3 custom ROM comes with tons of new features and improvements. Multiple things were fixed and you should enjoy the latest Android 4.1.1 and both AOKP and CM functions on your Sprint Nexus S 4G. If you want to correctly install this update, you should first read the preparation guidelines which will tell you how to manually backup important apps and what requirements does your phone need so that all process will complete successfully.
Some bugs and errors present in previous releases were fixed. However, if you do find new errors, then you should post them in our comments field so that other users will learn about them and decide more easily if they wish to update.
I think that these are all the general instructions that you had to read and, now you should move to the preparation guide in order to learn how to correctly configure your device for the updating process:
- Install this AOKP JB build 3 ROM only on the Sprint Nexus S 4G model number SPH D720. Verify that your phone has this model number by opening ‘Settings’ and then checking the info listed under ‘about device’.
- Your device should be unlocked, rooted and running a custom recovery image like CWM or TWRP. You cannot flash AOKP build 3 ROM without these requirements.
- Create a full NANDROID backup using ROM Manager or CWM Recovery mode. This backup will save the entire ROM you’re currently using on your device and this file should prove to be helpful in case something goes wrong during the update process.
- Save a list of all installed apps, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Internet Settings using these Android apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that some of these apps will work only with rooted phones.
- To backup the phone contacts, you should sync them with your Gmail account.
- You should charge the phone’s battery until it goes over 50%. This will not let the phone power off during the update process.
- Apply the update only if you’re an advanced Android user and avoid flashing the ROM if you think you’re a novice.
- Remember that neither we nor the developers will be held responsible in case you brick your phone in the process.
- You need to apply all the steps listed in the tutorial as otherwise you won’t be able to complete the update. Make sure that you use the comments section to ask for extra help in case you have trouble.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, I think that you should be ready to move to the next part of this guide. If you’re convinced that you want to flash this update then you should continue with the process. Also, remember that this tutorial is easy to follow and you should complete all steps in under 10 minutes.
How to install AOKP JB Build 3 on your Sprint Nexus S 4G smartphone
- Download the custom ROM zip from HERE. Do not unzip its contents and simply save it on your computer.
- Now you need to download the Gapps for Jelly Bean file from HERE. Download the file for the Jelly Bean OS and not the other versions. Do not unzip the contents of the zip and simply save the file on your PC.
- Connect your device to your computer and then transfer both files on its internal SD card. When the files are transferred successfully, you should disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off the smartphone and then boot into CWM Recovery. When you’re at the main recovery screen you should select ‘backup and restore’. Create a full NANDROID backup of the existing ROM in case you didn’t create one before moving to this step. In case you already made a backup of the ROM, skip this step.
- Now select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm the action.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP JB build 3 zip and this will install the ROM.
- Next, select once again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and install the Gapps file. When the ROM and Gapps were installed successfully, you should return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the first boot process to complete. Note that you should wait for this action to complete as it will take less than 5 minutes. NOTE: In case the first boot takes over 15 minutes, then you should power off the device and then repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- If all files were successfully installed, you will be taken to the AOKP JB welcoming screen. Now you simply need to enter your Google credentials and you will regain full control over your device.
- Now that you’ve managed to complete the update, you can begin to test this new custom ROM release.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the installation. Remember that you should ask for extra in comments.
In case you don’t like this new AOKP build 3 release, then you should use the backup created previously and restore your device to the same ROM that you had installed before. In case you want more guides regarding Nexus S 4G Sprint, click the device’s name under this article’s featured photo.